CH12

Extra long chapter for you lovely lot as a massive thanks for getting this to reach over 22 000 reads and over 1 200 votes. I absolutely loved writing this chapter and it is definitely one of my favorites that I have written so far. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did, and as always do let me know what you think xx

---

“An afternoon off in Barbados. Oh the possibilities,” Liam giddily whispered in my ear.

“Shh,” I whispered, trying to focus on the producer stood at the landing of the massive staircase who was lecturing the six teens in our category on the day's itinerary.

“Mr. Cowell's flight is not scheduled to arrive until later this afternoon so you could do whatever you please in the meantime. Please try not to get lost as we need you back at the house at around half past for so that we can start filming each of your individual coaching sessions with your mentor,” she explained.

“Can we go to the beach?” Austin, one of the other contestants spoke up.

“Go for it. Like I said, just as long as you all get back in time,” the producer reiterated as she walked off into the other room.

As soon as she disappeared, all six of us broke into a massive sprint as each of us ran to grab our suitcases and dragged it along with us to our respective rooms. Not taking a second look at the rooms we've chosen, everyone just threw their suitcases onto the beds, scrambled for swimsuits, and ran towards the shoreline without any hesitation.

Me being me, I was the last to finish getting ready, seeing as I had the extra to-do of having to grab my guitar before running after everyone else. There was no way I was going to waste my free time if I wanted to impress my mentor, but there was no way I was going to waste my time in Barbados as well. Figuring the best of both would be to practice outside, I quickly picked up my pace as I stepped out of the house with my guitar in hand.

The private sector of the beach was visibly empty besides the five bodies I could see from the distance. I took in the view that surrounded me as as I eagerly walked closer to the shore. Everyone else was already submerged waist deep in the water, yelling in excitement as I lay down my beach towel and began strumming my guitar aimlessly, racking my brain for a song choice.

I tried out various verses of different songs, searching for the right one that would fit my vocal range. I strummed melody after melody, but it was to no avail. It didn't help that it was exactly the middle of the day so the sun was directly above me, fuelling my growing frustration even further. Knitting my eyebrows together in concentration, I twisted the knobs at the the tip of my guitar to change the tuning. Mid-way through, the sunlight was blocked off by a sudden shadow of someone's body hovering in front of me.

“You really ought to take a break and have some fun,” Liam said as he plopped onto the empty space next to me.

“Back off, Payne,” I singsonged. “I'm practicing.”

“Andy, there's plenty of time to pratice later. You've got to enjoy this,” he said as he gestured to the breathtaking view of the crystal blue waves lapping on the shoreline.

“I am enjoying it! It makes a perfect backdrop for my music,” I explained.   

“Come on. Do it for me!” he pleaded, contorting his face so that his eyes would be extra wide, accompanied by a quivering lower lip.

“Nope,” I answered, obnoxiously popping the 'p' sound for emphasis.

“I swear that guitar might as well be another limb of yours,” he mumbled.

“Yeah, well I'm only ever comfortable when I have it with me.”

“Right then, I'm not leaving your side until you leave it behind and get up off your post to get in the water.” He shook his head disapprovingly as he began to stretch his legs out and lay down with his arms on either side of his head, supporting it as a pillow.