𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭. 𝐧𝐢𝐤𝐨𝐥𝐚𝐢

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Nikolai

Estelle was in a carriage of some kind. The road was bumpy and the cushions soft, so possibly the Darkling's coach. Someone was sitting across from her and her hands were hanging from a hook on the ceiling, still held apart to prevent the use of her science.

She'd woken up after they were on the move, but opted for keeping her eyes closed and pretending to sleep. Maybe she'd catch the Darkling off-guard.

Her plan caved in the moment her captive spoke up. "Pretending to be asleep is a futile attempt at eavesdropping, Estelle."

Her companion was none other than the Darkling himself.

Slowly, Estelle peeled her eyes open, avoiding the piercing gaze of the man across from her. She sat up straight, stretching out her sore muscles. "Where are we going?" she asked, her voice hoarse. "Where's Ana?"

"Ana is safe at the Little Palace," he answered calmly, choosing only to answer the second of her questions.

"Where are we going?" Estelle repeated, gritting her teeth.

"The Fold, Estelle. Where else?"

Heart dropping, Estelle swallowed her fear. She couldn't let him see how he got to her. How frightened she was to cross the Fold again.

She shivered. It was somehow cold in the enclosed coach, the velvet seats did little to warm her. Neither did her ragged blouse or trousers.

"Cold?" the Darkling asked.

"Don't talk to me," Estelle snapped.

He chuckled, turning his head to stare out the window. "Have you seen or talked to your friends lately? The Sun Summoner? Your prince?"

"I already told you not to talk to me," she said, still not looking at him.

"You're not the one in control here, Estelle." He paused. "Look at me," he said, a threatening undertone in his voice.

Slowly, Estelle looked up, finally meeting his dark gaze. The Darkling stared at her apathetically, his head tilted slightly as if analyzing her. "There you go. Now we can have an intelligible conversation."

She glared at him, unwavering, even as the coach swayed with every bump in the paths. "Why are we going into the Fold?"

"Always with the questions," he chided.

"How else would I know how to kill you?" she replied shortly.

"You're getting bolder. Interesting."

"And I'd rather die than do anything but."

"I'd expect nothing less from the likes of you."

Estelle scoffed. "The likes of me? Like you have said so many times, we are the same. The likes of us, Aleksander."

"You are young, I am experienced. In this, we could not be further from the same," the Darkling told her, anger rising. He hit the top of the coach twice.

Quickly, they slid to a stop. The Darkling opened the door and walked out. A second later, a Heartrender replaced him. Estelle sat as far back on the bench as she could, warily eyeing the Grisha.

In a moment, they began again on the bumpy journey. Estelle tried as hard as she could, but without the Darkling in there with her, she was beginning to nod off.

The minute her eyes closed, she was transported elsewhere. The Fold.

The darkness surrounded her, but she could see something in front of her. It wasn't exactly a volcra, but it looked similar to one. Then realization hit and Estelle's eyes widened.

It was Nikolai.

His monstrous form was partly hidden in the shadows, but Estelle could see enough. He had black wings, inky veins that crawled across his chest and arms. His eyes were pitch black, empty.

Estelle choked on a sob and fell to her knees. Nikolai perched on a rock with his taloned feet, staring into nothingness. "Nikolai," she whispered.

His head swiveled desperately, perked up as if he'd heard her.

He'd heard her.

"Nikolai, I'm here," Estelle cried. "I'm...I'm right here."

Nikolai continued to look around him, his brows furrowed in confusion. He could hear her but he couldn't see her.

No. Estelle dropped her head in silent mourning. No.

Shuffling. She glanced up. Nikolai was walking closer to her, eyes darting. "Right here," murmured Estelle.

He paused. His eyes stopped on her, gaze meeting hers. Estelle let out a breath. "Nikolai?"

Slowly, he nodded once.

He could see her. He could hear her. He wasn't gone yet.

Then, in an instant, her euphoria was over. Nikolai's head snapped up to look behind him. After one final glance towards her, he took up and left, wings flapping. Estelle hurried to her feet to watch him disappear in the shadows.