𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲. 𝐟𝐥𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠

CHAPTER TWENTY

CHAPTER TWENTY

Flying

     Estelle didn't know how much she screamed. How loud it was, how long it was, all she knew was the pain. It felt like that was all there was and all there ever had been.

Whether it had been hours, days, weeks, or even months, she couldn't tell. It was only pain.

Torture.

The nichevo'ya dug their nails into her skin, bit her, broke her bones then reset them again, iron branded her, dislocated her limbs. All while she was kept in a cold cell and starved. Her arms were cuffed above her head in special Grisha-style cuffs that kept her hands apart from each other. If they were brought together, she'd be able to use her Small Science.

She didn't even know why she was being tortured anymore. Answer about...something. All she could remember was the Darkling coming in and demanding answers. Locations. Information. People. Things.

She couldn't focus anymore. She'd pass out and come to whenever, sometimes when the pain was too much or just sudden, she'd jolt.

Estelle was just beginning to close her eyes, the exhaustion falling upon her, when the dungeon doors slammed open, bringing her awake again. Her shaky breath frosted the air as footsteps echoed through the empty, cold prison. Her eyes were heavy, but they followed the dark figure that walked down the hallway to her cell. The black kefta billowed with his steps.

Her prison cell didn't need to be locked, but he kept it that way nevertheless. Estelle shook, barely able to keep her head up to watch him as he unlocked the door and walked in.

"You have a strong will, I'll give you that," he said. She could see his shadow soldiers hovering just outside the cell.

Estelle hung her head, shutting her eyes. "Go away."

"I'm afraid I can't do that, Estelle."

"Why?" she snapped, heaving. "I don't know anything. I don't know anything!"

The Darkling watched her carefully. "Do you?" He let out a breath, taking a step closer. "Where. Is. Alina. Estelle?"

Estelle glared up at him. "I. Don't. Know."

"You see, I don't believe you," the Darkling said. "Where do you go when you leave me? When your mind leaves me? I know you've looked for them."

"Idi k vragu," she spat in his face, speaking Suli.

The Darkling chuckled humorlessly, wiping her spit off his face. "Suit yourself." He stepped aside, and the nichevo'ya slipped through the call bars and into her stall.

Estelle tried to prepare herself for what was inevitably going to come next. Unrelenting pain, torture.

It started off small. A long slash of it down her bare arm, drawing blood. The red liquid ran down her arm, but that was only the beginning.