𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧. 𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Warning

     Estelle couldn't pay attention to what Nikolai was saying.

They were in a council meeting with various of the King's advisors and commanders who wanted to know what they were to do about all the looming problems hanging over Ravka's head. Nikolai didn't have many answers for them.

Estelle, as his appointed Secretary of Affairs and Protection, she was to be at Nikolai's side at all times, and she handled his "affairs", which had become to mean anything from writing and delivering informatory letters to attending these useless meetings and writing down everything useful that came out of them.

So far, she had a blank page.

It was a lot of going back and forth between men who were too proud for their own good, talking about what they believed was for the good of Ravka. Everything that came out their mouths made Estelle want to throw herself out the window.

Nikolai nudged her leg with his knee from next to her. She glanced at him, then quickly looked away. Why? Was she still bitter about their encounter, when it was weeks ago?

Weeks since she distanced herself. Weeks since her friends left to reunite with the Izoćeici. Weeks.

Nikolai stood up. "Thank you all for your counsel, but I need to be left alone to think. We can convene tomorrow at your earliest convenience."

The lords and generals exchanged looks, but they couldn't defy a prince.

As they left, Estelle stood to leave him alone, as well. "Not you," he said quietly, so the others wouldn't hear. She looked at him, bewildered.

The doors closed behind the men, leaving them by themselves.

"Are you okay?" Nikolai asked, worry in his eyes.

Estelle shook her head, heading for the door. "I'm not doing this with you right now. Professional, remember?"

"But you're not being professional," he countered, blocking her from leaving. "Your head is somewhere else all the time, I have yet to receive a well-written council meeting report from you. So, I'll ask again, are you okay?"

"What do you think?" Estelle bit back bitterly.

Nikolai's face softened. "I get it. Your friends left. You feel alone. But you're not."

"I don't need solace right now," she snapped.

"Fine. Then I'll give it to you straight up," he said. "You're pitying yourself and forgetting about everyone else. You think that your life is so horrible, that you're forgetting that other people have horrible lives too." Nikolai stepped forward. "There is a war going on, more than one, and we need you with a clear head."