Chapter Ten ✨

"Hello Mr. Shelby," Elise greeted smugly, standing on the opposite side of the pillar Tommy stood beside. "Hello Elise," Tommy greeted back, hiding his hesitance. "Oh so now you want to speak to me." The woman scoffed at her ex, as she made it clear she notice his rudeness earlier on. "I didn't even know you were here." He tried to excuse but Elise saw right through his facade.

"Bullshit. You're just too scared to talk to me, just like when we were younger." She scoffed at the older Shelby. "I seem to be the only one that you're afraid of." The blonde woman smirked, as the words left her lips. No matter how much the Shelby brother put on the front that he wasn't afraid of a single thing. Only the younger blonde woman, that stood beside him, dressed in deep red lace dress, crimson lips to match it. Her long blonde hair, laid in ringlets down her back. Every inch of this woman Thomas Shelby couldn't help but to fall for all those years ago.

Despite the recent news of the cruelty her father put her through, Tommy will never be able to stop himself from feeling the way he felt for his friends' younger sister. He can see straight through her façade just has she can with him.

**

Elise awoke that morning in the home she still owned in Small Heath. Her head pounding as an aftermath of the night before. As did Tommy, only difference he didn't wake up alone unlike Elise and his mind was filled with regret. The regret that it had not been Elise he had taken home with him.

The look of her stayed imprinted in his mind. She had always been his strength, part of the reason he pushed through the war although he pushed her away for good only months before. Another decision he regrets every day. His family never failing to remind him about it either. The young Steele had been the only one to truly understand Tommy and no matter how dark his mind had become, she was still the light. And he ruined the best thing he had for his own selfish reasons. One big lie he told to her for the reason he couldn't be with her.

When he told her he loved her it had been the truth. The promises he had broken all due to the fact he believed he had been an issue for the blonde woman. Was it the age? Or had it been the fact that he was close friends with her older brother Sawyer? Had he been too much for the young Steele to handle? Many around him believed John to be a better fit for her. Closer to her age they say. No matter how John had tried all those years ago to win Elise's heart he had been Tommy that succeeded. Only then had John understood where Elise's heart lied.

So it wasn't a surprise when there had been turmoil between the two brothers after the discovery of Elise's now broken heart. Although by that point John had already moved on with Martha, he hated the fact that his older brother could be so foolish. Even now neither John nor Arthur allows Tommy to forget that he lost the best to ever happen to him. Elise may had been dead for how they spoke about her to Tommy. Even Colby and Sawyer, Elise's older brothers remind him how stupid he had been.

This is why whenever he had the chance. Thomas Shelby made it his mission to try to win Elise over just as he did many years ago. Only this time Elise wasn't about to fall so easily for the Shelby brother. She was no longer a teenage girl who would fall in love easily.

Her heart has ached one too many times since Tommy, she wasn't going to make it easy no matter who it may have been.

She revelled in the memories of the night before. Knowing her appearance that night had thrown her ex off course. A calculated man Thomas Shelby, every scenario figured out in his mind whether they were to happen or not, however it had been true. He had never expected his sister to show up with Elise by her side. Forgetting not only that the woman was his ex but his sister's closest friend.

For one he hadn't expected for Elise to speak to him that night, although he spent every moment he saw her there to try and gain the confidence to speak to her. He was going to attempt to have the front that he hadn't been shocked by her arrival, that he truly didn't realise she had come. The reason he didn't greet her when he first spoke to Ada. However his watchful eyes on the young blonde failed him. As the young woman hadn't been fooled from the moment she first caught his eyes trailing up and down her body when he walked over to speak with his sister.

The words she last spoke to him that night, stayedon his mind, on replay. continuously. "You're just too scared to talk to me,just like when we were younger. I seem to be the only one that you're afraidof." She had spoken the truth. She had been the only one in Tommy's world thatcould manage to make him falter. Even when they were children. Although Elisehad been a few years younger than him, the moment she had become teen, always hangingaround him and her brothers among his own family, he had never been able totalk to her. There had always been something about her that made Tommy unsure onhow to approach her. At least not with complete confidence. Elise has always knownthis about the cocky, overly confident Shelby brother. She had never been likethe other women in his life and yet that is what Tommy loved so much about her.