The Long Awaited Truth

(Bit of bad language, but not much. You've been warned...)

Eva's POV

He was there. He was actually there. I couldn't believe he had found me and by the looks of his face and the shock, disbelief then happiness that crossed it told me he couldn't either. For a second we just stood there with neither of us moving, but then he put the tray down and spontaneously ran to me and lifted me into his arms in a crushing hug. I didn't mind, not at all. I hugged him back with just as much force, finally accepting how much I had missed him, being in my prison. He was warm in my arms and they delighted in being full again, as did my heart. Images of Rob ran through my head whipping round and round in circles so fast that I had no other thoughts left. I felt his firm torso and having it pressed against me made me feel both vulnerable and safe at the same time.

When we had eventually let go of each other I could see how confused he was. He needed an explanation and as much as it was going to hurt seeing his rejection I knew that I was the one he needed to find it out from, but first I would allow myself a small time of being purely happy about his presence. He held me at arms length and looked me up and down.

"Have you lost weight Poppy? Why are they feeding you this shit?" I also looked at my body analytically. I was noticeably thinner, bordering on unhealthily so. The truth was that recently I had simply lost the motivation to eat. Aunt, however, was overjoyed at my current figure as apparently skeletal was in fashion at court this season. She took it as encouragement, thinking I was purposely dieting to please the Prince.

Rob was angry. He didn't need to say anything else; I could tell by the way he dropped his hands but had them clenched in fists at his sides. I reached forward to stroke his cheek in an attempt to calm him down. It worked, I think, as he released his hands and ran them through his shortened hair. His new hair made him seem older, more handsome, but for some reason I couldn't help miss the way his fringe used to flop into his eyes. It had given him such a boyish charm.

"Don't worry, Rob. I'm f-fine," I started but my voice broke on fine. I just wasn't and seeing Rob reminded me of how I used to be. I had changed in just weeks of slight isolation. I guess the truth of what my future was going to hold had finally sunk in and I had simply resigned myself to it and given up all hope of future happiness.

"No, no you're fucking not, Poppy. You're not, so don't fucking lie to me. Why the hell have you been locked in here? Why aren't I 'sposed to talk to you?" I had thought Rob was angry, but he was furious. I took a cautious step back. His face was red and his nostrils flared. He was glaring at me, but I didn't understand why. I hadn't asked to be sent here. In fact I had asked, pleaded, to be let out again.

When Rob noticed me move away a worried look flashed over his eyes. He reached his hand out trying to capture mine and halt my retreat, but I pulled mine away before he could. I didn't miss the hurt etched all over his expression.

"I'm sorry Poppy. I didn't mean...I'm not angry at you, I'm just mad at whoever did this," he mumbled some profanities that I had never heard before. "I just don't understand whatever the hell is happening here," He gestured to the room. This time when he hesitantly reached for my hand I clutched his tightly, lightly tracing over his knuckles with my thumb. He stepped forward so now all that was in the small gap between us was our entwined fingers.

"I've just missed you so much. I thought you didn't want to see me anymore..." Rob whispered, but I quickly interrupted him.

"How could you think that Rob? Doesn't this," I raised our hands still lovingly connected, "mean anything to you?" I saw his relieved gaze, which was directly at my eyes shift a little lower until he was looking at my lips. I licked them and bit down on my lower one slightly. His gaze did weird things to me. My insides were churning in a completely pleasant way.