Once Again

• Dedicated to YOU!

The time between my last meeting with Rob and the next one was tiresome and little happened of any interest, except perhaps the reminders of the Prince's soon arrival. I had to search through various squares of embroided fabric to find the perfect patterns for my ball gowns and the endless dress fittings that Aunt presided over were so boring that I near fell from the block I had to stand on for the dress maker to measure me up. Most of my time was spent with Aunt preparing me for everything that I could possibly need to know about life at court or the correct etiquette in accepting an engagement to the Prince. I was constantly reminded that our sons would be directly in line for the throne and would preside over the Realm when our current king finally died, possibly from gout.

"Evangeline, dear," Aunt had taken to calling me that now she thought that I was no longer a complete waste of food and air, "I can not even pretend to myself that you are taking this honour seriously if you do not stop staring through the damned window into that blasted meadow," I looked up as her demeanour slipped back into her old strict self. I hadn't noticed my attention turning in the direction of the meadow that was just hidden below the view of my window.

"I'm sorry, Aunt, but we have been studying appropriate ways of showing affection for Prince Edmund for days now and I believe I know it all and if I don't I can always ask you," I stated trying to appeal to the pride she felt for her knowledge of what's Good and Proper.

Aunt smiled, I say smiled, but with her face it seemed more of a grimace.

"I will not always be here for you," thank the stars, "but I understand you must be too eager to see Prince Edmund that learning about him will be torturous," she was correct, but it felt like torture for other reasons, mainly my eye lids as they fought to resist the gravity pulling them down over my eyes.

"So, I guess, we will finish your tuition here for the day and come back fresh and revitalised tomorrow," Were my ears deceiving me, or had I been given free reign over my activities for the day?

"You may leave," she nodded to the door and I quickly raced towards it. Aunt let out an exasperated sigh, she had obviously been holding on to the hope that I would decide to stay and learn more out of my own free will. I didn't. Instead my feet carried me out of my day room and down the stairs. I didn't realise where I was headed until I had reached the back door. One breath of the fresh air had me running over the small hill until I was in a position to see the whole meadow spread in front of me. This time I noticed Rob before he saw me. I wasn't sure what to.

Rob was sat with his feet in the water and his trousers rolled up over his knees. His plain and slightly grubby white shirt made his skin seem tanned and the cap he had pulled down low to keep out the sun was brown and looked well loved. As I watched he lay his back down on the grass, his feet still submerged and adjusted his hat until it covered his eyes from the bright sun. I think he had dozed off when I slowly began to approach him. He looked completely content and his muscles and limbs were as relaxed as possible, considering the slightly awkward position he was in. I cautiously lent over the gap between us until I was once again stood in the stream and my hair was falling around his face. He looked so innocent asleep, his usual confidence gone leaving him appearing vulnerable. My hair must have ticked cheek because before I knew it he opened one eye and looked up at me in confusion.

"Have I died?" He asked me causing me to laugh and fall on top of him. He winced at the impact, but I think it was only a ploy to make me feel sorry for him, which I refused to do. He laughed at my body sprawled on top of his where I had collapsed.

"I must have done, as that's the only explanation I have for the angel on top of me," He said seriously. I felt him grip my sides as he rolled us over till he was practically lying on top of me. His weight was on his elbows allowing me to breathe freely, but for some reason my fluttery chest was not letting me.