An Unexpected Visitor

The next week came and went and I still hadn't been brave enough to venture back into the meadow, though I wasn't positively sure why. It may have been something to do with warm, reassuring brown eyes that I knew would never judge me, or maybe it was something to do with a connection to another's soul that I had never experienced before. However, it was definitely something to do with being confined to my room for ruining my dress and "romping around like a hooligan" in a place "where even the commoners" could see me. After the second straight hour of reprimanding by Aunt my ears began to burn, so apart from to nod and agree how stupid I was, my mind was almost completely absorbed with analysing my chance encounter with Rob. Inside I was anything but regretful of the day's event. Rob seemed so real in a world full of false appearances and forced courtesy. When he spoke about his family it was so heart felt and honest that I completely forgot I was talking to a strange tree climbing boy I had only just met. He made me feel real.

"Mi'Lady, your Aunt and Uncle have requested you be down for a formal dinner," announced Becky, my new Lady's maid; my last one, Mary, had been relieved of her duties after the day of the meadow for being to liberal. Becky was so formal she barely breathed without asking permission. She never spoke unless I directly addressed her or she had been sent to deliver a message. Despite my blatantly obvious attempts to start a conversation to bring her out of her shell she refused to acknowledge the fact that we were just two girls of similar age.

"Thank you, Becky. It's been such a lovely day, have you any plans for tomorrow?" I responded having another attempt at friendly communication, but I was shot down with a harsh stare and a small shake of her head.

"No, Mi'Lady. Your Aunt were quite specific that you be down quickly," she said and I sighed exasperated. Why were the servants so reserved and formal all the time? I nodded and began to reach for the door handle to obediently go down and join Aunt and Uncle, but Becky cut me off.

"They said it was to be a formal dinner, Miss," she said with heavy emphasis on the formal. I looked down at myself puzzled before I realised I was still wearing my night gown and robe. I have been in my quarters all week, without any contact, so I hadn't seen the point of changing and wearing the uncomfortable clothes Aunt deemed appropriate. I began to laugh imagining everybody's face if I came down dressed as I was. I looked over to Becky, but no distinguishable human emotions showed on her hard face. My good humour evaporated and I allowed my self to be dressed as this house hold demands fitting for a woman of my place in society.

My petticoats were on, all frills and white lace. I never understood the importance of the delicate detailing if no one was to ever see me wearing them. My corset was tight, as the current fashion demanded. My dress was full bodied but tactfully smaller than Aunt's to show that I held no contest to her dominance of the house hold. The embroidery was of humming birds and flowers in understated colours swirling around my bodice, with a relatively plain skirt as I was still meant to be showing penance for my unruly actions. The shoes were tight and uncomfortable compared to the silk stockings I had been wearing recently.

I left quickly after Becky had finished curling and pinning up my hair and applied rouge to my cheeks and painted my lips. As I descended the main oak staircase, framed with family portraits dating back hundreds of years, I questioned why such effort had been taken to refine my image tonight. I hadn't been expecting to be called from my rooms for another day or so. As I reached the foot of the stairs and the hall it quickly became apparent. The normally overly fancy hall, in my opinion, had become even fancier with stags' heads placed on the wall and the curtains drawn to show the warm evening sky. This much effort only meant one thing, the King was coming.

* * * * * * * *

Aunt rushed out of the grand dining room reserved almost exclusively for when we are "blessed" with the King's presence. She came over to me in a hurry, for her, but still maintaining a steady speed she thought appropriate for a lady of her standards.