CHAPTER 9

Similarities of Two

─────

"My lady, I do not mean to doubt your decision.. but are you certain we can trust this man?"

Zoro could only watch in boredom as the woman who'd tried to kill him just minutes ago try to convince Hiyori that he was the most threatening human across the Grand Line and that he should be disposed of quickly.

Did he look that menacing?

Hiyori chuckled in reply. "Of course we can. Had he been a bad person, he had plenty of opportunities to hurt me."

"He could be bidding his time."

"Can you two not talk about me as if I'm not here?" Zoro grunted in annoyance. Was he air to them?

Katana turned to him, her gaze sharp. Had Zoro been a coward, he would have faltered at the harshness of her glare.

But he wasn't, so he just stared back at her with boredom.

"Speak only when you're spoken to," she emphasized with a hint of a hiss.

And of course, Zoro had to answer, "Why should I?"

Before a fight could break out, Hiyori had stepped in once again. "That is enough, please don't fight."

Zoro watched as Katana averted her gaze from him and slightly bowed her head at Hiyori in a gesture of appeasement. He didn't know the exact story about this flame-haired woman, but it was obvious that she highly revered Hiyori and treated her words like the law.

And then came the question, who exactly is Hiyori?

The tension was only lifted as Toko's vibrant laughter pierced the air. She padded towards Zoro and handed him a bowl of curry.

"He can be trusted, Katana," Hiyori repeated for the nth time. "In the meantime, why don't you calm down and eat? I'm sorry this is all I can give you for now."

Katana followed her gesture towards the boiling pot in the center of the room, before she looked back at her and shook her head.

"Thank you, but I must refuse. Please help yourself instead, my lady."

Zoro watched as a gentle smile plastered itself across Hiyori. "Are saying that because you're worried there will be no more portion left for me?"

Based on Katana's reaction, it seemed that she was right.

"You're still the same as ever," Hiyori sighed, stilling smiling as she shook her head. She took an empty bowl and filled it with the soup from the pot before she handed it to Katana.

"Eat," Hiyori said. "With how things are in Wano, I surmise it won't be long until something big happens."

After accepting the bowl of food, Katana frowned. "Something big?"

Then Hiyori looked at Zoro.

"I've heard rumors of the return of the Kozuki. Then I met a mighty and kind-hearted samurai from abroad, so I'm wondering.." she seemed to think about her words carefully. ".. whether all of these are connected, and whether you, sir Zorojuro, are working with my.. brother."

Zoro's cheeks were puffed because of the food, but he didn't care as he processed Hiyori's words. "Broduh (brother)?"

Katana grimaced in disgust. "Do not talk while eating."

Zoro rolled his lone eye. "You're not my mother."

"Ehem." Hiyori coughed before Katana could counter. She seemed to be tired and annoyed at the constant bickering between them. Not that Zoro particularly cared. "By my brother, I meant Kozuki Momonosuke."