↠ 8 ↞

"Please tell me you're kidding," he groaned, not liking what he was hearing.

"I'm afraid not," his companion said. "They knew when she was born, and have rallied themselves to find her and kill her."

He ran a glove-covered hand through his red hair in annoyance. "What are we gonna do?"

"We keep them away from her for as long as we can," his friend said.

"And how do you propose we do that, Jugo?"

His friend only gave the smallest of smirks. "You'll see."

- - - - - - - - - -

12 YEARS LATER

SOUL SOCIETY

Ichimaru Gin had simply been on a stroll when he felt multiple new Reiatsus appear out of nowhere. He turned towards the barrier that now surrounded the Seireitei, which meant only one thing: there were intruders trying to get into Soul Society. He shrugged to himself and made his way over, having a feeling about who one of the intruders was.

He arrived at the gate in time to see Ikkanzaka Jidanbō, the gatekeeper, lift the gate and freeze in terror at the sight of the Squad 3 captain.

"Jidanbō-san?" a female voice said. "Are you alright?"

The gatekeeper said nothing and continued to tremble, leading the girl to follow his line of sight to see Gin approaching.

"Who is he?" she asked quietly.

"Squad 3 taicho, Ichimaru Gin."

Gin had his usual fox-like smile and his nearly closed eyes as he said, "Hey, that ain't right."

Suddenly, Jidanbō's entire arm was cut off and the giant was screaming in pain as the girl watched the arm fall to the ground in horror. The gate fell slightly, but Jidanbō continued to hold it up with his back and his remaining arm.

"That ain't right," Gin repeated. "The gatekeeper ain't there to open the gate."

We were careless, the cat thought. We never thought someone like him would come this far out. Even if these kids have become stronger, a captain-class opponent is beyond their imagination. Fighting him right now...is a worst-case scenario that must be avoided!

"I lost," Jidanbō struggled to say, straining to keep the gate open. "A defeated gatekeeper opening the gate...makes perfect sense!"

"What're you talkin' 'bout?" He began to walk forward. "A defeated gatekeeper don't open no gate. When a gatekeeper's defeated..." He stopped in front of the giant, looking up with a menacing smile. "...it means death."

He was quick to pull out his Zanpakutō to block the girl's black blade. There was enough force on both sides that it pushed them away from each other.

"S-Sayuri!" the cat cried out in shock.

Sayuri aimed her blade at the captain. "What the hell do you think you're doing, you bastard?!"

"That's my line!" the cat shouted, sweatdropping.

"Anyone who decides to attack an unarmed man is mine to fight," she said.

Gin chuckled. "You're a funny kid. Aren't you scared o' me?"

She cocked her head to the side. "Not at the moment."

"Sayuri, get back here!" the cat shouted. "We must retreat!"