↠ 7 ↞

"What's taking so long?"

"These things take time," his companion answered, not bothering to spare him a glance. "You know that."

He frowned, crossing his arms over his chest. It had been almost a year since his friend had made his last visit to her, and he worried what that meant.

"Why'd you stop?"

His friend paused before turning to look at him with a barely noticeable frown. "It's not by choice," he murmured softly. "His Majesty has been giving me more duties to perform. I believe it is an effort to prevent me from seeing her."

The man sighed. "That ain't right," he muttered angrily, clicking his tongue softly. "That just ain't right."

"What are we to do, but follow his orders?"

- - - - - - - - - -

17 YEARS LATER
SOUL SOCIETY

"Shūhei!"

The lieutenant of Squad 9 paused in his steps, waiting for his companion to make his way over before they continued on their walk. He glanced over at him with a raised eyebrow.

"What's got you worked up, Izuru?"

Kira Izuru, lieutenant of Squad 3 and a good friend of Shūhei's, frowned. "You haven't heard yet?" At Shūhei's confusion, he continued, "They're brought back Kuchiki Rukia."

Shūhei froze, staring at Izuru in shock. "What?"

Izuru creased his brows together. "Why are you so worked up about it?"

"...No reason."

He wasn't going to break the vow he made to the Kuchiki girl, not even to his friend.

- - - - - - - - - -

THE WORLD OF THE LIVING
URAHARA SHOP

"DAMN IT!"

Urahara flinched as another loud crash sounded from the underground training area. He supposed that he would need to make some repairs when this was over.

Yoruichi frowned in worry. "She really isn't taking it well," she murmured softly, her chin resting on the palm of her hand.

"Did you think she would?" Urahara asked rhetorically. "The bond was slowly forming and Rukia was taken away, effectively pausing the bond from completely forming." He paused for a moment. "Though, I suppose that's a good thing."

Yoruichi gave him a look but didn't argue with him.

The ringing of a phone sounded in the small room. Urahara reached over and looked at the contact information with a frown.

"Oh dear, unknown caller," he muttered before shrugging. "Might as well answer." He accepted the call and placed it on speaker. "Moshi moshi?"

"Is this Kurosaki Sayuri's phone number?" a male voice asked from the other end.

"I'm afraid you called the wrong number, my friend," Urahara answered as Yoruichi raised an eyebrow. He held up a finger to tell her to wait a moment. "Who are you looking for? Maybe I can point you in the right direction?"

It was a long shot, but maybe this person could give something about them away that would help identify who the caller was.

The caller was silent for a moment. "...Kurosaki Sayuri. She is twenty-one, has short black hair and bright blue eyes. A university student in Karakura Town. Do you perhaps know her? Or, maybe someone who knows her?"