↠ 1 ↞

A baby's soft cooing filled the small room that was illuminated by a small lamp resting on a small side table. A young woman's figure was outlined by the off-yellow light from the lightbulb of the lamp, smiling down at the young infant in her arms. The woman was resting in a rocking chair, softly rocking back and forth as a way to calm down the child and get them to sleep.

"How is she?" a male's whispered question caused the woman to glance at the doorway of the room, where her husband stood, leaning against the door frame.

"Calming down," she answered just as softly. "Do you know what caused her to act like that?"

He shrugged. "Don't know, but I called Urahara so he could check." At her alarmed expression, he hastily added, "Just in case."

She exhaled softly before looking back at her child, who was now sleeping peacefully. She smiled before slowly standing up and walking over to the crib and placing the baby into it as gently as possible.

"Goodnight, little Yuri-chan."

- - - - - - - - - -

20 YEARS LATER

Kurosaki Sayuri hummed softly under her breath, her bright blue eyes moving around her surroundings in boredom while listening to music through her wireless earbuds. She wore a dark blue lightweight bomber jacket with a black sleeveless turtleneck and skinny jeans. Black running shoes rested on her feet and a messenger bag was hung over her shoulder. A smartwatch was on her left wrist, along with a small open bangle that had the saying, "alea iacta est." Her chin-length, black hair was pulled into a ponytail.

Loud laughter not too far ahead of her caught her attention, making her pause for a second before her pace picked up slightly as she made her way toward the source of the sound. She stopped in her tracks as rage sparked in her eyes and her brows (the right one with a scar through it) creased.

A group of four men were laughing over something she didn't care about, as her attention was stuck on the small vase of flowers on its side and the translucent figure of a young girl hiding behind the light pole.

With her teeth grit together, she put her earbuds away and cleared her throat, catching the attention of the men. One of them gained a smirk and walked over to her, saying something she didn't pay attention to, which the male didn't take too well.

He raised his fist, ready to throw it at her face, but was interrupted by her fist hitting him in the gut. Spit flew out of his mouth as he flew past his friends and landed on the ground harshly, leaving his friends in shock.

Why wouldn't they be?

Their friend was just knocked onto his ass by a 5'5", 97-pound girl that doesn't look very strong.

"I got a question for you guys," she finally said, causing shivers to run up their spines. She pointed a finger at the vase that was laying on the ground, water still slowly pouring out of it. "What is that?" She moved her pointed finger towards one of the men. "Answer! You in the middle!"

He started, pointing at himself and stuttering out, "Um, uh, a tribute for the girl who died here recently...?"

He was rewarded for his correct answer with a kick to the chest, knocking him onto the ground. His friends called out to him in fear and worry.

She glared over at the remaining two men standing, causing them to freeze. "Well, why is that bottle knocked over?"

"W-We were skateboarding and we knocked it over..."