Chapter 02

It's now friday – tonight is the dinner with a family friend. Hopefully everything will turn out well.

Nia's POV

The drive to the venue was quite long, but, alas, we're here at the venue.

We were guided to our table, it was quite big for 6 people, I guess? Hmm, we must be meeting some really important people then.

They still aren't here, now I'm getting nervous who they could be. Shoot, this isn't the time to be nervous, Nia. Get a hold of yourself.

I got distracted by mom, she said they're near, and I decided I should freshen up myself or something, and told that to my mom.

Kaede's POV

We're now at the venue my parents were talking about, where we'll have dinner with a family friend. As soon as we entered the restaurant, we were guided to our table. As we got to our table, two people were already there.. but aren’t they supposed to be three? Oh well, it’s probably none of my business. My parents greeted them and so did I. They said their daughter just went somewhere, but she’ll be here soon.

Moments later, she arrived. She was greeted by my parents and she greeted them back. My parents told me to do something so… I took her hand and lightly kissed the back of her hand and greeted her good evening.

“Oh, uhm, hi, good evening to you, too.” She replied, and I saw her blushing.

“This my daughter — Ilaria Nia Elisse Ackerman.” her mother said. “What a lovely name it is! What should I call you, dear?” my mom asked. “Nia nalang po.” She replied with a smile. I’m not going to lie, she looks… good.

  * Nia nalang po – you may call me Nia or just call me Nia

Nia’s POV
I’m screaming internally right now. “AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA OMG mom, why did you not tell me that this ‘family friend’ we’re meeting is Kaede Rukawa and his parents. I can’t believe it, I never expected it would be them we’re meeting. AND. HE. KISSED. THE. BACK. OF. MY. HAND. WHATJDKSDJK Kaede Rukawa, what are you doing to me” I definitely am blushing so much right now, like, I could feel the heat in my face. Hopefully, he, uhm I meant they, wouldn’t notice it. AAAAA I still can’t believe this. ><

As they are eating, their parents are talking about business related things, making the two uninterested.

"Oh, by the way, there's something important we have to say." Mrs. Rukawa said.

"Ah, yes. I almost forgot about that." Mrs. Ackerman added.

"What is it, mom?" making Nia interested in the talk.

"By the time you both turn 21, you will be engaged to each other. Then you'll be married."

"What?" Kaede muttered, somewhat annoyed.

"What?! Well, yes, I do have a crush on him but I don't want an arranged marriage whatsoever." Nia thought.

"So for the time being, do get to know each other, okay?"

"And with that, would you two like to go out? You can go to the park or to the mall near here if you want." Mrs. Ackerman added.

The two just replied with an okay, then they, together with a guardian, went to the park since it seemed way quieter there than in the mall.

"Umm, hi! I'm really sorry about what happened earlier. I swear I didn't know anything" Nia said.

"It's okay, it's out of our control."

"Yeah,  sadly.. uh so.. you're a basketball player, right….?"

"Yes, currently in the Shohoku Basketball Team."

"Oh, I heard your team did great in the district tournament? And you're going to Nationals, right?" Nia said, slight excitement visible in her eyes.

"Uh yes, we're going to Nationals."

"Sorry if you're getting… you know, irritated. It's just that basketball interests me but other than my cousin, who is also a basketball player, I have no one to talk to about basketball. So now that you're here, I just couldn't help myself but ask questions. Sorry"

Kaede smiled. "It's okay. You can keep asking me or we can keep talking about basketball."

He felt relieved as he was with someone who is interested in his hobbies, plus she isn't like other girls who are interested in basketball only because the basketball players are good looking.

"So, how about you? Do you play any sport?" Kaede asked.

"Not really, but I do want to try volleyball or badminton and perhaps basketball too, if my parents would allow me but I don't think so. They prefer for me to be a ballerina, so here I am, a ballerina."

"That's impressive though. My sister's also a ballerina, she said there are restrictions and rules stuff, and she doesn't like the diet thing."

"Oh yeah.." Nia softly chuckles. "So you have a sister?"

"Yes. Her name's Liana, she also attended an international ballet class thing, and if I'm not mistaken it's the same as the one you attended?"

"Oh yes! Liana, I do know her! She's really amazing, and sweet too."

The two continued to talk and got to know each other. Smiling and laughing here and there, and for once, they let themselves be themselves, and they're getting along nicely.

Soon, the two headed back to the dinner's venue. Just in time as their parents were about to take their leave.

author's notes:

finally posting chapter 2! i'm not going to lie, this one's actually quite long, i sure do hope you didn't skip any parts lol.

also, some introduction (?)

- Liana Rukawa (15) - Kaede Rukawa's younger sister, Gracie's older sister
- Graciella Rukawa (6) - Kaede and Liana's younger sister; her nickname's Gracie
- Mrs. Ackerman - Nia's mom
- Mr. Ackerman - Nia's dad
- Mrs. Rukawa - Kaede's mom
- Mr. Rukawa - Kaede's dad

oh and in this story, Kaede is 17 years old, and Nia is 17 years old as well.

disclaimer: these are just fictional characters. Liana and Gracie are not in the original story of slam dunk. they're characters I made for this fanfiction.

well, that's all, i think? do share your comments and whatnot, if you have any. and if you'd like to be included in the story (side ship, friends, etc.) do comment it here or dm me!

thanks for reading this chapter, til the next one !