Chapter 11

"Well, you know, you've been playing the 'pretend to disown me' card ever since I touched down in London, so I figure it's your fault, really," I casually remarked, feigning admiration for my perfectly manicured fingernails. Sitting at my desk, I maintained the indifferent facade that always seemed to work, effectively keeping emotions at bay during these heart-to-heart moments with my father.

Tony looked genuinely concerned. "Frey, I didn't disown you. A lot's been going on, and when you didn't show up, I was worried. Do you have any idea? No call, nothing. I hear about a monster in London where my kid is, and I hop on the first jet I can find, only to discover you're happily relaxing in Scotland, completely oblivious to the worry I—and everyone else—had."

His concern was palpable, but I couldn't let him off the hook so easily. "Are you seriously putting all the blame on me, Dad? I tried calling you too, you know. Did you answer? No! You did not," I retorted, perhaps a bit harshly. Taking a deep breath, I rose from my seat. "I didn't mean to worry you, Dad. The trip to Scotland wasn't planned. I'm sorry."

Tony's tone softened. "No, no, it's alright now. You're home, safe. That's all that matters in the end, kiddo." His sincere voice filled the room—a rare apology from Tony Stark.

Shifting away from the heavy atmosphere, I decided to change the subject and lighten the mood. "So, where are you and Adrie? I didn't see you at the compound," I inquired, making my way toward my bags to unpack.

"Oh! I'm still at the tower, and Adrie, I believe, is on his way to the compound right about now with his friends." Tony paused, clearly pondering something. "So... about that boyfriend," he began, a hint of subtlety in his tone that almost made me burst into laughter.

"Seriously? That's the first thing that pops into your head? Not a friendly 'how was the flight' or 'can't wait to see you'?" I shook my head, utterly incredulous at Tony. "No! I'm not talking about my love life to you."

"Why?" Tony whined, interrupting my attempt to neatly organize my shirts and toss my dirty laundry into the basket.

"Because I refuse to discuss matters of the heart with dear old dad." Exiting the closet, I headed towards my bed. Just as I was about to sit, a sharp pain sliced through my stomach, as if a sword had run me through.

"Just give me his name, at least—"

I gritted my teeth against the pain and cut him off, "I'm going to call you back later, Dad. Jarvis, end the call."

In the background, I heard Tony's protests cut off abruptly as the call ended. Collapsing to my knees, I barely missed the bed. "Aughhh!" Biting down on my lip, drawing blood, the pain intensified, and numbers flashed in my mind like waves crashing against my skull, repeating endlessly. I couldn't make it stop. The pain shredded me from the inside, making it impossible to think or breathe. Tears welled in my eyes and streamed down my face. "IKARIS!" I screamed, desperate for the one person I needed now more than ever, my soulmate.

Ikaris burst through the door, nearly breaking it. His eyes scanned the room, quickly finding me in my pathetic state on the ground. He was by my side in an instant, while others lingered nervously by the door, reluctant to enter.

On one knee, Ikaris rubbed soothing circles on my back. "56.1304° N- Aughhh!" Clenching my teeth, I fought against the pain. My knuckles turned white as I held them tight. More tears streamed down my face as I struggled to speak. "106.3468° W," I gasped through the pain.

Ikaris wore a look of concern and confusion, visible from the corner of my eye. "What—?" He halted himself, realization dawning. Gently, he cupped both sides of my face, guiding my gaze into his eyes. "Talk to me, Love. What's wrong?"

"I don't know. It feels like... like I've been stabbed through my stomach, shredded, and set on fire." My breath quivered. "Those numbers won't stop. It just keeps on..."

Ikaris drew me close, enveloping me in a comforting embrace. "Shhhh. Love, focus on my heartbeat and just breathe." Following his advice, I tuned into the slow rhythm of Ikaris's heart, inhaling deeply and releasing a shaky breath. The pain persisted, but my mind seemed to calm and clear, if only slightly.

Sersi must have briefed Ajak on everything, judging by Ikaris' displeasure at what he overheard. His arms tightened around me protectively as Sersi approached. His eyes silently warned her to keep her distance. "No, I refuse. I am not leaving her side."

"Ikaris, they're on their way there now. Ajak wants you to join them," Sersi calmly informed, stopping and kneeling down.

"Would you abandon Dane in this state?" Ikaris growled, his eyes briefly flashing gold.

The pain dulled a bit, but black spots filled my vision. Time was running out before I would lose consciousness. Though I craved Ikaris' comforting hold, Ajak needed him more. Struggling against closing my eyes, I summoned all my strength to push against Ikaris, hoping to grab his attention.

My attempt failed miserably.

Ikaris rose with me in his arms, with Sersi following. "I promise to watch her—" Sersi tried reasoning, but Ikaris cut her off.

"Like I'm supposed to trust you. She almost died because of you last time, Sersi. I'm not leaving her. She stays with me—"

"I'll do it," Druig declared, appearing and standing beside Sersi. "I'll watch her, Ikaris, and I'll protect her with my life. You have my word. Ajak needs you. It's hard, I know, but you can't fly with her in this state. You know this."

Summoning the last reserves of my strength, I reached up and gently touched Ikaris' cheek. He cast his eyes down at me, concern etched across his face, and I did my best to offer reassurance. "Go, they need you. Don't worry, I'm okay now." (For the record, I lied. I was far from okay, but some things are better left unsaid.)

A soft smile played on Ikaris' lips as he looked down at me with a hint of sadness. He moved gracefully to the bedside and tucked me in under the covers. "I'll be back soon, love." He planted a tender kiss on the top of my head and shot a glance at Druig. "Look after her." With those parting words hanging in the air, he vanished through the window, soaring into the night before hesitation could change his course.

The next thing I knew, the world plunged into darkness once again.

The endless abyss welcomed me back...

...And I really was starting to have enough of this.