Chapter 7

Flying in a jet has always been a thrilling experience. There's something magical about the food, the desserts, the TV shows, and the breathtaking view of the world beneath the clouds. Yet, amidst all the luxury, I couldn't help but wonder what it felt like to soar through the sky without the confines of an airplane or jet, to fly free in the clouds with nothing but the wind beneath my wings—no need for an iron suit or any technological constraints.

Once, I had ambitious plans to craft my own wings. The blueprints were ready, and my excitement was palpable. However, fate had other ideas, as the plans were swiped from under my nose before I could even lay the first piece of metal. Undeterred, I later fashioned a superior design, with wings so lifelike that you couldn't distinguish them from the real deal. Surprisingly, I've kept this feat to myself, harboring a fear that my creation might be snatched away or handed over to someone else against my wishes.

As I sighed and turned my gaze away from the window, my eyes met those of the man I believed to be my destined soulmate— Ikaris. His unwavering gaze had been fixed on me ever since I addressed him as "Scotty,"

In the past:

"Look, whether I like it or not, I'm stuck with you. I'll give this whole soulmate thing a shot if you accompany me to my dad's wedding. Do we have a deal, Scotty?"

"I don't think that's a—" Ikaris began, but Druig swiftly interrupted.

"Ikaris gladly accepts. While we're extending invitations, count me in. I'll be packing my bags if you need me." I wanted to object, but Druig had already exited the room.

In the present:

And so, Druig masterfully coerced his own invitation. When I asked Dane, Sersi, and Sprite afterwards, they all enthusiastically agreed to join the adventure.

As for the other Eternals, they decided to stick around. Little did I know, the place I had woken up in was a castle in Scotland. Sersi spilled the beans during our drive to the airport, mentioning that the castle was built centuries ago as a safe haven for each of their soulmates.

Gazing into those beautiful blue eyes that I've grown fond of, I finally voiced a question that had been nagging at me since I left the castle. "Hey Ikaris, why is it that the other Eternals give me a different look compared to Dane?"

Gently tucking a rogue strand of hair behind my ear, Ikaris explained, " There are two reasons. One being our bond is very new, and they have no idea how you'll react since we never got to get to know each other before I told you. And the second is unlike Dane and the other's soulmates, you are different. You can find the other Eternals soulmates."

I wasn't sure how to digest that information. It felt bizarre to think it was possible, but I guess it was also hard not to believe.

Sprite, from her seat, chimed in, "It's one of the perks of being Ikaris's soulmate, I suppose."

I was relieved that Sprite wasn't shooting daggers at me anymore and was back to her normal carefree self. I still didn't understand why she had given me a death glare over the phone, but I knew Sprite well enough to know it was better to ask her directly than beat around the bush.

"Oh, Sprite! I completely forgot to ask – what was up with the death glare back at the castle?"

Sprite looked like she was weighing whether to spill the beans or not. After a minute, she gave in. "The guy on the phone. I think he's my mate, and when I heard you two talking, I thought-."

Uh oh. This is not good. Adrien is not going to like this, especially when he already has someone, he thinks is his soulmate. Don't get me started on how he goes on about how perfect his girlfriend is. Meanwhile, I've already told him he could do far better than... I sighed, hoping it would release some of my frustration. "His name is Adrien."

"Wait a second, as in your brother Adrien?"

"Do I look like I have a friends list full of people named Adrien and Dane?" Before he could open his mouth again, I answered my own sarcastic question. "No, I do not."

"Wait, since when do you have a brother?" Sprite and Sersi both inquired, their voices oozing with shock.

"Since birth, I guess. Adrie and I happen to be twins. I don't really mention him much because he barely shares anything, except that Dad attended his primary graduation and attended his high school graduation. 'Oh, and don't forget Dad helped him fix this and that, showed me how to build and improve this design I drew out. Dad's just the best.' Yet where was he when I graduated—not just primary or high school, but bloody college with not just a master's degree, but honours as well." By the end of my rant, I was breathing heavily, warmth creeping into my cheeks as I realised what I had just revealed.

Biting my lip, I attempted to think of something, anything that didn't paint my father in a negative light. "My, no wonder your soulmate is seven thousand years old. You clearly have major daddy issues."

"No, I don't. I just never spent much time with my dad because he was mostly working, and when he wasn't, well... He tried as a single parent, but Adrie always got more attention from everyone, including my dad. Most people would say I was adopted, as I look nothing like my father, and Adrie does. So, my dad got a test and tossed the proof in their faces. Alas, that still didn't change their minds. They reminded me to my face constantly when my dad was not looking." I confessed to a part of my life I chose to leave behind when I moved to London, but no tears accompanied my words.

Suddenly, I became hyper-aware of the sombre faces around me. Ikaris had me in his arms, and in a deep voice, he said, "I would really love the names of those pests, love."

I don't know why, but a laugh escaped my lips as I looked up into his loving eyes. "Thank you, but it was a long time ago, and I mostly forgot them." Giving Ikaris a kiss on the cheek, I whispered, "Thank you, really."

Turning to face Sprite, I braced myself for what I was about to tell her. "Um, Sprite, about my brother. Just a heads up, he kind of has a girlfriend already."

I thought Tinkerbell turned the reddest when angry; I was proven wrong. For Sprite was redder than red, livid to the point I nearly wanted to push Ikaris in front of me, fearing for my own survival.

Thankfully, the plane was landing now, though not fast enough for my liking as Sprite asked in a sickly-sweet voice, "What is that harlot's name?"

"Sprite, that is no way to talk about someone. He doesn't even know—"

I wanted to cheer Sersi on for trying to reason with Sprite, but I knew that wouldn't work. Sprite didn't even look fazed by what Sersi said. "HER NAME?"

Sighing in defeat, I revealed the name of the girl I knew was not going to survive once Sprite met her. "Michelle Jones, mainly known as MJ."