The Next Steps

-Unknown Location-

The man wearing a white hood, cape, and a blue battle outfit along with a skull mask looks down at the group of men and women he assembled and lined up for a special event. Behind him were an assembly of gym mats laid throughout the hangar. He finally breaks the silence and began his speech.

"Recruits, veterans, and all between. You've been chosen to compete for an important and special position within the company."

He lifts the briefcase and puts it on the ground. The people trying out stare at the high-tech briefcase in awe. Then, the hooded man pulls out a sword and points it at all the attendees.

"All of you will prove to me that you have what it takes to don the mantle of shocker." Taskmaster replied. "But only one of you will earn the right to wear the gauntlets, work with me, and have a special bonus. When we begin, I want you to look at the board and find the person you will spar against. I'll be judging you on your abilities. Is that understood?"

They all replied with 'Sir, yes sir'. Taskmaster nods and dismisses his attendees. They all lined up and continue their tryouts. Some took the mat in pairs to fight each other while the rest went through an obstacle course with live rounds being used. The head trainer of the LMB continued to observe all the participants movements, learning little by little which one was the best.

-Spider-Man-

Spider-Man drops down to a nearby alley and grabs his backpack he hid behind the dumpster. He hoped no Cleaners came around sanitizing the place with fire as he lifts the dumpster a little. His backpack is intact with all the clothes accounted for. He takes a sniff before recoiling at the stench of his BO and the dumpster in front of him. He promised himself he would get his clothes cleaned. However, the base wasn't equipped to wash clothes, so the laundromat had to do. That is if he can find one.

He looks around and spots a laundromat a few blocks down. He swings over and lands in front of the entrance. He presses on the doors. They don't budge. He felt bad for breaking into a laundromat, but he cannot exactly return to the base smelling like trash. He looks around and notices the vents on the wall. He climbs up and slips through the metal gate. A rat scurries out of the way as he climbs through the air duct until he stops at another vent. He presses down on the vent and drops down onto the floor.

The place was dark, but Spider-Man can see just fine as his lenses switch to night vision. He quietly walks around, checking the area for any squatters before he noted the laundromat is clear. He digs into the pocket of his backpack before he fishes out some pocket change. He opens the laundry machine and stuffs his clothes in quickly. Then, he presses a few buttons to set the machine to wash. He looks around and finds a few abandoned packets of detergent on the counter. What a score! He tosses the packets into the wash and presses start.

Then, he sits down and takes off his mask, finally having some moments to reflect. He thought about the agents in the Division; Oliver, Freya, Shane, and John, and how quickly they became from everyday people to federal agents. They are getting powerful slowly with Miles help in exploring different possibilities with their SHD technology and taking any gear and weapons they can find from their enemies. Then, he thought about the fight with the man on fire.

He couldn't believe his former classmate, Mark Allan, is Molten Man and he is after him. At least he has a reason why Molten Man wanted Spider-Man dead, to save his sister. Was he talking about Liz? The thought made his heart sink as he knew her. To hear about her having the dollar flu made him sad. Then he shakes his head, realizing it be better for him to find another way than giving up his life to help Mark, wherever he is now.

Suddenly, there was a crack and a snap before the door rang open from the main entrance. Spider-Man pulls his mask back on and leaps up to the ceiling. Then, the door swings open. A single woman wearing a purple puffy coat steps into the laundromat with a submachine gun drawn.