CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: UNEASY INTRODUCTIONS

Calvatti shook Kaia awake at dusk. He didn't wait for her emerge from her cocoon of blankets and furs before heading back to the fire. She stretched and nearly yanked the hair out of her head trying to stand up. It had twisted around her while she slept. Only luck kept the unruly mass from strangling her. It desperately needed to be cut. Kaia took a moment to braid it before joining the group.

Calvatti dropped his mug when he saw her. "What happened to your hair?"

"Magic," Shuven said dryly from her place by Naf. Delicate carving tools were arranged in neat rows on a leather apron in front of her. She set a chisel down in an empty spot and picked up a tiny pick. In her other hand, the woman held a block of white material Kaia couldn't identify. Marble?

Naf chuckled. "Looks a fair bit better on you than bald, girl."

Calvatti narrowed his eyes at her as if he was offended by its existence. "Is that real? How?"

What did he care if she had real hair or not? He was acting like she spit in his tea. Kaia flicked her braid at him. "Magic."

"You did prayer magic on your own fool self?" Naf asked. "You're lucky you didn't take your head off at the shoulders. I heard what you did to Zyrta's place. Is your vanity worth so much?"

Kaia wanted to protest and explain that it had been Nightstealer, but she held her objection. They didn't need to know about that. "I've gained some more control since then."

Calvatti stared at her. "Show me."

Kaia prickled at his rude command, but grudgingly relented. Gratitude. He had saved her from capture; she could indulge his curiosity a little. The man pulled her into the firelight and inspected the roots above her forehead. Kaia was reminded of Nightstealer's caress. She took an involuntary step back, but he moved with her, circling. He tugged her braid and tore out a stray hair.

"Ouch!" She grabbed the braid back from him.

"I saw a few tricks and illusions in the market, but I didn't think...I didn't believe..." Calvatti's voice trailed off.

"Told you they were serious about those boxes in Urit," Naf said.

Shuven threw another stick of wood on the already blazing fire. "I didn't think anyone outside their little cult could use the power."

"No indeed, I had never heard of such a thing." Naf shook his head. "How do you make it work?"

Kaia should be training other Salbatorans to use the adezay as she promised the gods. But, she wasn't sure about these people; it didn't feel right. She went with the first lie that came to mind. "Nobody can figure out why I can do these things."

Naf and Shuven regarded her with obvious disbelief, and Calvatti raised a peaked black eyebrow. Kaia flushed. Stupid lie. She had told Calvatti that she prayed to Nightstealer and Daybringer, and he clearly remembered. She waited for him to tell the others, but he gave a half shrug and settled down on the log.

"Well girl, You'll find the time is right to tell us at some point." Naf reached up and patted her hand. He slid a fist-sized figurine from a pouch and began polishing the silver with a soft cloth.

Shuven snorted and turned back to her project. A dragonfly had half emerged from the block under her skillful attention. Wax?

"You're the one who carved the chairs in Calvatti's wagon." However odd, Shuven was as brilliant as Naf claimed.

"Yes." The woman bent over the sculpture without looking up.

"We should teach you how to lie. You're horrible at it," Calvatti said. "How did you expect to be a politician, even in Salbatora, with out that? Gods forbid you ever became queen."

Kaia straightened to her full height. "I would serve my people honestly. I wouldn't need to lie."

Shuven stopped working to regard her with eyes wide. "You're not even lying about that are you? Pathetic."

"I suppose you would have me lie to everyone?"

The woman chuffed. "You haven't exactly been truthful with us. You might as well learn to do it properly."

Calvatti smirked at Kaia. "It's a skill like tracking or bargaining. Useful when the situation calls for it. Didn't your father tell you that?"

"My father was not a liar. How dare you imply-"

"It's a little late to be going into all that," Naf said. "Let's have some dinner. Then we can discuss important things, like what to do with our wayward pigeon."

Kaia ground her teeth and glared at the Hillman. Of course, he had a low opinion of royalty. His people had never been loyal. Always stirring up trouble and defying the crown, no matter how simple the request. But, for him to disparage a dead man, a good man and generous king, was reprehensible.

Calvatti handed around bowls full of some kind of stew that had been bubbling over the fire. He preferred the dump-everything-into-a-pot-and-let-the-gods-sort-it-out recipe, but frequently got distracted and things tended to burn. Kaia sniffed her bowl. It smelled all right.

Naf bellowed out a laugh. "She's been eating your cooking, boy." He swallowed several large bites and smiled. "No need to worry, I made our feast tonight."

After a few minutes of silence except for the sounds of spoons scraping against the sides of bowls, Shuven spoke, "If we get caught with her, it's going to go worse for everyone. They'll think we planned her escape."

Kaia stared down at her fingers clutching the dish. "I should leave, then."

"Nar, don't be ridiculous, girl. How can we teach you how to lie, if you go wandering off?" Naf pulled a clay bottle from under his shirt, unstoppered it, and took a long drink. The burning tang of spirits reached Kaia's nose.

The others didn't look so concerned about her welfare. Shuven cast a sour glace at Calvatti. Kaia hunched over her meal and pretended not to notice. Why couldn't she have escaped with Adya and Linal? At least they wouldn't resent her presence.

"What we need is a plan," Naf said. "Do we take you back or hide you so they'll never find ya? One thing's for sure; you can't go back to Salbatora."

"Then what is the point of any of it?" Kaia sounded whinier than she intended. She took a deep breath and lowered her voice. "Why risk your lives for me?"

"Patriotism?" Shuven replied sardonically. She continued to eat, unaffected by Kaia's outburst.

Kaia shook her head. "You have no reason to help. I'm not part of the kingdom any more."

"If you're finished feeling sorry for yourself, can we talk about some actual plans?" Calvatti gave her the unreadable expression again.

"Let's dump her on the next merchant going back to the Citadel," Shuven said.

Naf frowned at the woman, and she leaned back, crossing her arms. "Our schedule has us picking up our next load of metal in Barstoew. Fortunately, the trick with the hair actually provided a handy disguise for our guest. We can go into town, and see what sort of warrants' posted. I'm sure they understand you were not in your right mind when you left, and want you back safely."

Kaia wasn't so sure; that staircase was pretty much destroyed. It was doubtful they would be pleased with her. However, the idea of putting off the decision was more appealing than being sent back to Severn Par immediately. She couldn't think of any reason that getting more information on the state of things would be wasted effort.

"That makes sense," Kaia agreed.

"Decided, then. Now, who wants some booze?" Naf offered his flash around, but no one took him up on the offer.