CHAPTER NINETEEN: ALLIES AND ENEMIES (Part 3)

The wine numbed the pain in Kaia's side and she was able to run. But, it also made her dizzy and the streets stretched in impossible directions. She narrowly avoided colliding with walls that hadn't been there moments before. A familiar booth materialized out of the hazy dusk and she increased her speed. Even the slight recognition made things less confusing and foreign. Several turns later, it became obvious that she was retracing the route from the day before.

The sounds of pursuit faded, and she dropped into a walk, gasping for air. Exhaustion nearly overwhelmed her. There was no way she could continue on much longer. The light-headedness was getting worse and black dots fluttered in her vision. At some point, probably soon, she would simply pass out in the street.

What would they do if they caught her? She had destroyed the staircase, probably injured or killed guards and Zyrta. What Naf said was true: she broke the treaty by running away...not that she had any choice. Would this evidence of her power and her behavior convince the Emperor that she was too much of a threat? That Sanat had been right to want her dead? Kaia's thoughts stalled. She couldn't think clearly, or maybe she hadn't really been thinking since Franze died. She didn't know what to do.

Kaia stumbled. Her legs felt heavy and disobedient. She put her hand on the wall to keep her balance. This couldn't just be the effects of the wine. A dull chill trickled through her insides. Had it been poisoned or drugged? She shook her head in an attempt to shake off the sensation of unreality.

An intersection of two smaller roads opened up in front of her. The tang of pitch and salt drifted up from the street to her right, and a torch bobbed up the hill towards her. Should she run? She peered around blearily. Which way should she go? The torch turned into a lantern carried by two shadows.

"What have we here, Dravus?"

"Looks like a little green bird with no feathers on her crown, Mikae."

The dark figures resolved into men. One was tall and wiry with a sparse blond beard. He wore a sun-bleached shirt with a canvas vest. He nodded to her in greeting.

His companion raised the lamp higher. The other man was just as unkempt, but shorter, with a fullness over his belt. His skin was deeply tanned and wrinkled from long exposure to the elements. They smelled of tar and cheap whisky. Sailors.

"What ship are you on?" she asked.

"We're on the Silver Wind these days, mistress. Pulled into port today and looking for some relaxation."

"A pretty girl, such as yourself, would be welcome to join us, especially if you know a place that serves good liquor." Mikae winked. "Even without hair, you're a sight for sea-weary eyes."

"What happened to your hair? No offense intended." Dravus tilted his head. "You're not a priestess, are you? The captain forbid us from talking to priestesses."

Kaia shook her head too vigorously. A flash of a memory replayed in her mind. Sanat held a knife covered with Franze's blood. Kaia wobbled away from the wall and collided with Mikae.

"Seems you do know a good place for drinking." Mikae draped his arm over her shoulders. He pointed back the way she had come. "Is it up there? Any chance some of your non-priestessy friends might still be around?"

Kaia tried to focus on his questions, but the sparkling lantern light reflecting off the brass fittings kept pulling her attention away. It was so beautiful. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. "How much would passage cost? When do you leave?"

The men exchanged a glance.

"I dunno about that, mistress. Have to ask the captain. He's the one who arranges passengers. How about you come relaxing with us tonight, and we can sort that out tomorrow?" The shorter man nodded as if the matter was settled and lifted the lantern up to illuminate the street.

"It'd be fine to have you aboard. Give us something other than Dravus' ugly mug to stare at for awhile." Mikae grinned, and his gaze flickered over the rest of her. His smile dwindled, eyes fixed on her side.

Kaia looked down. Fresh blood soaked through the tunic and sash, forming a large black patch unmistakable even in the lamplight.

"We didn't hurt you, mistress." Mikae backed away.

"No, I—"

"We don't want trouble. You take care." Dravus grabbed Mikae's arm and they shuffled quickly down the nearest alley.

Kaia stared after them, unmoving. Still at the intersection, with no idea what to do.

"What did you do to scare them off, princess?" a low voice drawled from a dark alcove.

Kaia started and staggered away, her heart racing. A man stepped out into the street. Not a solider. Calvatti?

He snorted. "You're afraid of me, but you'd go off drinking with two strangers of doubtful character?"

"If you were so worried, why didn't you say something?"

"Not my business if you wanted to go."

Kaia flushed. "It was nothing like that."

He considered her for a moment, and gave a half-shrug. "Maybe not for you."

They stared at each other silently. Calvatti hadn't changed since she saw him last. Same filthy leather and sour attitude.

"Did you come to buy some furs?" he asked mildly. "It is a little late for honest trade."

"I'm not here to see you."

"Ah." He swept into a mocking bow and started to retreat. "Forgive my intrusion."

"Wait!"

He paused. "Your command, most highness?"

"I need..." Kaia held out a hand to him and everything fell into darkness.