𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 | summer days

Summer 2003

WHEN I WOKE UP, the room was quiet and very light. I slept awful late - the kids must need me.

I wandered out of my bedroom to see the kids were already beside him outside, starting up the grill for the barbecue we were set to have this afternoon. I opened the sliding glass door, my hands on my hips.

"Now honey, why didn't you wake me?" I asked him, watching him set Sawyer down from where he was holding him on his hip before turning to me.
"You need your sleep, mama. Besides, the kids slept in anyway - you didn't miss anything."
"Mommy!" Sawyer was tugging on my leg, so I got down to talk to him. Even though he was three, he still had the occasional tantrum, and I wasn't looking for that today.

"Yes Sawyer?"
"Daddy had us clean the grill! I want to grill!"
"Baby, you're too young to be helping daddy grill - it gets too hot, I don't want you to be hurt." I kissed his cheek.
"I told him he can't help. Besides, you'll be too busy playing!" He got down with me as we tried to ensure he wouldn't cry.

"Don't cry Sawyer!" Genevieve said small. "We should go play!"
"Ok!"
Surprisingly he was okay, and he went to follow Genevieve to the swing-set in the backyard - one Guy had built the previous summer.

"That went well." Guy smiled. "Wasn't expecting it."
"Me either."
"So how's my sleepy lady doing this morning?" He sat down in a lawn chair, pulling me over to sit on his lap. "You feeling alright?"
"Yes, still tired though."
"I mean, we don't have to have your brothers over, they'd understand if you need to rest."
"No, no, they should come over. I just need to power through."
"I don't know that you should... you power through enough to take care of the kids." He kissed my temple. "Just think about it, hm?"
"I already thought about it, and my answer is 'no.'"
He ran his hand over my stomach and I sighed as he shifted beneath me.

"You are lookin' so sweet this morning." He peppered my cheek with kisses. "If we plop the kiddos in front of the TV with a Barney tape, I think we'd get enough time..."
"Guy, I love 'ya and I love being with 'ya but I can't keep having babies."
"But you don't have them every time..." he kind of whined, hiding his face in my neck. "You feel so good, I jus' wanna be with you."
"I'm just too fertile I guess. What happened to condoms being 96% effective? Have we really had sex that much?"
"Apparently." He teased.
"I knew I wouldn't be able to stop having kids, just like my mama. There's something genetically that makes my body carry kids easier or something."

He snuggled me closer. "I know we don't need any more kids. But I like getting to spend that time with you. You're just so pretty all the time, it's like I need you."
"I think I'm less pretty now than I was then."
"No way... you're aging like a fine wine, my love."
I held him closer to me. "Maybe we could buy some time... but I cannot get pregnant again."
"What if we do something else so we know you won't?"
"We could... but you and I both know it isn't quite as fun."
"True, but I don't mind. I'd do anything." He got his hand on the side of my neck, breathing hard. "Please baby." He begged me.
"Alright."
It was very rare that Guy was like this - practically a puddle at this point - so I knew I should probably help him out and give him some alone time with me. I mean, we both deserved it, we took care of our kids day and night.

Within a few minutes, Guy had Barney on for Genevieve and Sawyer and had them cornered off in the living room, away from our bedroom. He shut the door to our room, almost squealing with excitement. I just giggled at him, and he laughed back.

We kissed for a moment, laying back on our mattress in each other's arms.

"You are just... God, you're so fucking beautiful." He started kissing my neck. "I can't get you off my mind."
"How is it that for the six years we've been married, I've always been on your mind?"
"'Cause I love you more than anything in the whole world." He started kissing my shoulders. "You light up my world, you gave me two beautiful kids... God, what would I do without you?"