𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 | goodbyes

I WOKE UP ALL twisted in the sheets of Guy's hotel bed - usually that meant I slept well. The room was quiet, the light was low, and all that I could ascertain were a few light snores from various others. Opening my eyes, Guy was still sat in front of me in the musty green armchair, holding my hand in his where he had dozed off.

It was like he sensed me waking, as he turned on his side to look right at me with his matching sleepy eyes.

"Good morning, my love... sleep well?"
"Yes, it was perfect."
As I grew more sensitive to my surroundings, I could feel no one was in the bed beside me, all the other boys basically across the room.

"So you kept them all away from me, I see." I continued.
"Wasn't hard. I think them seeing me sitting beside you was enough for them to not even ask."
"You do have a way of lookin' like a guard dog." I teased him.

I reached closer to him, trying to kiss him. He helped me the extra distance and reciprocated, not wanting to let me go.

"We have the day free, you know... wanna go do anything?"
"Well, I should probably go play and see if I can make anything extra." I sat up, adjusting my shirt. "You know, since we don't have any plans."
"Okay, I'll go with you... did Mr. Tibbles have the stylists come for you this morning or are they just dropping by later to bring you your party dress?" He spoke, walking into the bathroom to brush his teeth - I followed.

"I think they brought clothes to the girls room already, I can go see in a minute."
As we brushed our teeth, I took the moment to think about things. I looked over at him brushing his teeth, noticing how silly we both looked. Yet I knew more than ever that I loved him.

I loved how he looked at me; how his eyes had a special sparkle when he was talking about me. That almost nothing but kind words came from his lips, how gentle and understanding he was of me. It was hard to feel like this was something I deserved, and it made me emotional to think about him going. How could I even tell him that I love him when he's leaving in less than 24 hours?

He spit out, letting me spit out too before he rinsed the sink.

"Meet you here, my dear? I'll make sure the guys are decent when you come back."

Within half an hour we were at Fifth and Broadway, set up in my chair with Guy sitting up against the telephone pole. He looked at me with his usual puppy-looking eyes, his under-eye bags more prevalent in the light. I knew he must have slept awfully because I forced him into the chair.

I finished up playing a Trisha Yearwood song when I noticed him looking even more tired. I wasn't drawing a crowd, so none of this felt worth it.

"You look exhausted, Guy - maybe you should rest up before the party tonight?"
"No, I wanna spend time with you." His words were slurring together in that sleepy way. "We only got today, baby."
"You need to sleep, I feel bad." I ran my hand through his hair, trying to get him to listen.
"I don't need to sleep when I've got you by my side." He smiled softly.
"Come on, lay your head here and I'll sing for you." I guided his head to my knee, brushing the side of his face with my fingertips. "Rest, I'll take care of you."
He gently kissed my kneecap, finally obeying my words and relaxing.

I started playing "Islands In The Stream" but gentler than usual, hoping he would doze off to my words. I wanted him to be comforted by me like I was by him; like how I was a comfort for my brothers.

After a few more tunes he seemed to finally be dozing off, the gray cloudy sky seeming to help him. It was nice knowing that he felt safe with me like I did with him. And while I think he was scaring off my tips, I didn't care. I had the love of my life falling asleep on my leg.