Chapter 12

"So, you asked her to go to that movie with you?" Josh said to Ryan as they walked through the school hallways on Friday.

"Yeah, I did. And she said yes. But you weren't supposed to say anything to her about it, you know. I told you to keep it between you and me until I asked her." Ryan replied, narrowing his eyes at Josh.

"Sorry, bro. She kinda pried it out of me. And in my defense, she wasn't supposed to tell you that I told her." he said. "Besides, you were taking forever to ask her anyway." he added, chuckling a little.

"No, I wasn't! I was just waiting for the right time." Ryan defensively reacted.

"And when was that gonna be? Next year?"

"Very funny."

"But it's true though. Let's be real." Josh said, smirking.

"You know, you can be so annoying sometimes." Ryan commented, but he was already on the verge of laughing.

"Hey, don't get mad at me. I'm not the one who has a crush on my dance partner." Josh teased, making Ryan's face heat up.

"Shut up, I do not have a crush on her." he claimed, causing Josh to let out a laugh.

"Yes you do, bro. Honestly, I can't believe you're still denying it." he said.

Ryan was about to reply, but he froze in place when he saw Addy a little ways ahead of him, standing near her locker while some random guy stood next to her, shamelessly flirting with her. Josh stopped mid-step when he noticed Ryan just standing there.

"You ok, man?" Josh checked. But Ryan was too distracted to reply, just continuing to stare in front of him.

"What the heck is that guy doing next to Addy?" he said, the disapproval evident in his voice.

Josh turned his head to look at what Ryan was referring to. "Oh...." he trailed off, realizing what was going on.

Addy smiled nicely at the guy as he gently touched her arm, which made Ryan's stomach turn. And that's when he heard him ask her out to dinner....

At that point, Ryan just turned and walked off, not wanting to torture himself anymore by waiting to hear Addy's reply.

"Come on, let's get out of here. I can't watch that anymore." Ryan sighed as Josh trailed behind him. The two of them then just silently walked to the cafeteria, since it happened to be lunchtime.

"I can't believe the nerve of that guy. He just walks up to Addy and asks her out? And he was flirting with her and everything, I mean, who does he think he is?" Ryan ranted to Josh once they were in the cafeteria. They were at their usual table, but Addy and their other friends hadn't shown up yet.

"So.... You have a problem with her going out with someone else, huh?" Josh slowly responded.

"I didn't say that."

"But that's kinda what you're implying."

Ryan sighed, unable to deny what Josh was saying. "Addy and I were supposed to go to that movie tonight. But I guess it's probably not happening now, since she's going out with him." he spoke, hating the way those words sounded.

"Why don't you talk to her about it?" Josh suggested, comfortingly placing his hand on Ryan's shoulder.

"What's there to talk about? She can go out with whoever she wants. There's nothing I can do about it." he said, but it came out more bitter than he had intended it to.

Josh sighed, giving him a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry, man. You know I don't like to see you upset like this. I really do think you should just talk to her though, about how you're feeling."