chapter 6

The next day, Addy awoke to the sound of her phone alarm ringing annoyingly from the desk. She groaned in annoyance as she rubbed the sleep from her eyes before reaching over and turning the alarm off.

Looking around the room, she seemed to just now register where she was. She remembered that she had stayed over at Ryan's house last night, and she was currently in the guest room where they agreed she would sleep for the night. She made her way over to the bathroom, which was inside the guest room, and showered and brushed before changing out of the oversized pajamas that she was in --courtesy of Ryan's sister-- and into her extra outfit that she had packed from the night before.

After she was dressed, she heard a light knock on the guest room door, followed by Ryan's voice.

"Addy?"

Addy didn't bother replying, just going over to open the door instead. She held back a laugh when she saw Ryan's unruly, messy hair. He obviously hadn't bothered combing it yet. She tried to ignore how she low-key found it sort of cute though.

"Hey," she simply greeted him.

"Hey.... um I was just making sure you were awake. It's almost time to head to school." he said, shoving his hands into the pockets of his grey sweatpants.

"The fact that you think I'd still be asleep by now-"

Ryan held up his hands in mock surrender. "Hey, I was just checking. You could be one of those people who like to sleep till 11:00, I don't know?" he replied, half joking.

"Right. And yet, you're the one still in your pajamas." Addy pointed out jokingly, smirking as she felt quite proud of her comeback.

Ryan blushed a little before chuckling nervously. "It doesn't take me that long to get dressed, so I usually wait till last minute." he shrugged.

"Ok then. Well, I'm just gonna touch up my makeup real quick and then I'll be ready to go." Addy replied.

"Ok." There was then an awkward silence as they just stood there in the doorway, until Ryan cleared his throat awkwardly before speaking again. "Um, I'll be downstairs when you're ready." he told her, pointing his thumb in the direction of the hallway behind him.

Addy just nodded in response before shutting the door after Ryan had walked off. She finished her makeup, which didn't take that long since she didn't usually wear that much makeup anyway, before heading downstairs to the living room. Ryan was sitting on the couch, his hair now neatly combed --well, neatly enough-- and he was wearing a simple grey hoodie and black jeans.

"Ready." Addy said as Ryan stood from the couch and they both headed towards the door.

"Shouldn't you eat breakfast first?" he asked her, raising an eyebrow.

"Nah, don't worry about it. I don't wanna be late for school if we keep waiting around." Addy said, already making her way out of the door, Ryan following behind her.

They walked to his car without saying a word, but as soon as they were both seated inside the car and had their seatbelts on, Ryan broke the silence.

"Just so you know, we're stopping somewhere on the way to get you some breakfast." he told her.

"But-"

"No. Don't even argue with me. You're not skipping breakfast. Plus, I'm kind of still hungry too, and we'll be really quick, so it's not like it's a problem." he explained. In reality though, he wasn't really still hungry, he just said that to get her to agree. He knew how stubborn she was about getting to school on time, and he just wanted to make sure she ate breakfast. He wasn't about to admit that to her though....