092. rising of lucifer

"Dean? Dean!" Bobby calls. "You listen to a word I said?"

"Yeah, I heard you. I'm not calling him." Dean says. Natalie quietly sighs from where she sits, holding an ice pack and alternating it between her face and her throat every few minutes.

"Don't make me get my gun, boy." Bobby sneers.

"We are damn near kickoff for Armageddon, don't you think we got bigger fish at the moment?" Dean asks.

"I know you're pissed. And I'm not making apologies for what he's done, but he's your--"

"Blood? He's my blood. Is that what you were gonna say?" Dean asks.

"He's your brother. And he's drowning." Bobby says.

"Bobby, I tried to help him, I did. Look what happened."

"Fighting isn't helping him." Natalie says.

"So try again." Bobby says.

"It's too late." Dean says.

"There's no such thing." Bobby says.

"No, damn it! No. I gotta face the facts. Sam never wanted part of this family. He hated this life growing up. Ran away to Stanford first chance he got. Now it's like deja vu all over again. Well, I am sick and tired of chasing him. Screw him, he can do what he wants."

"No." Natalie shakes her head, her voice cracking. "No, he's not running. He is being forced out. First by dad and now by you. And it's not fair to him. He didn't ask to be cut off when he was 18, he didn't ask to not have you be there for him when he's going through whatever the fuck he is right now."

"Yeah, well, supportive, you call him." Dean says.

"I tried. I did call him." Natalie says, walking over to her brother. "He's more mad at you than he is at me."

"Oh, yeah? So explain him tossing you in the fucking closet!" Dean shouts.

"He--" Natalie sighs, struggling with an answer. "He-he didn't mean it. He wouldn't do that. It was... it was a rash, heat of the moment and I'm sure he regrets it."

"Well, he didn't look very remorseful last I saw him." Dean remarks.

"It-- he--" Natalie presses her lips together, stepping away as she has an internal debate.

"You don't mean any of that." Bobby says.

"Yes, I do, Bobby. Sam's gone. He's gone. I'm not even sure if he's still my brother anymore. If he ever was." Dean says.

"No, no, fuck you, Dean!" Natalie yells. "What the fuck is wrong with you? Not your brother? Have you fucking lost it? He has always been and will always be our brother, damn it!"

"He's not!" Dean yells.

"Yes, he is! You fucking raised us, Dean, you know he is! He's just lost because he's been manipulated and nobody has been able to pull him back yet, and if you weren't such a selfish prick, we could!"

"Oh, I'm selfish?"

"Yes! And telling him to never come back? Who the fuck are you, dad?! We both know you're better than that, Dean." Natalie says.

"Hey, he's the one who walked out that door." Dean says. "You know, it's interesting how you never defend dad, but even when Sam hurts you and gives you more trauma, you'll go to bat for his sorry ass!"

The harsh slap echoes through the room as Dean's head snaps to the side. Natalie feels the rage suddenly disappear when she processes what she did and her eyes flick between her brother and her hand in both shock and a little bit of horror.