056. opening gates of hell

Larissa sits at the table in the small cabin they're in. Her eyes don't tear away from Sam's body that's resting on a bed in the next room. After a long breakdown the night he died, she hasn't shown any emotion. She's gone numb.

Dean leans against the wall and is staring at Dean's body.

"Dean, Natty?" Bobby walks in. "Brought you this back." He puts a bucket of fried chicken on the table.

"No, thanks. I'm fine." Dean says.

"You should eat something." Bobby says.

"I said I'm fine." Dean says.

Bobby looks at Natalie who doesn't talk, her eyes glued to Sam.

"Guys... I hate to bring this up, I really do. But don't you think maybe it's time... we bury Sam?" Bobby asks.

"No." Dean denies.

"We could maybe--"

"What? Torch his corpse? Not yet."

"I want you to come with me."

"I'm not going anywhere."

"Dean, please."

"Would you cut me some slack?"

"I just don't think you guys should be alone, that's all."

"We're not alone. We have each other."

"I gotta admit, I could use your guys' help." Bobby says and Dean snorts. "Something big is going down. End of the world big."

"Well, then let it end!" Dean yells.

"You don't mean that."

"You don't think so? Huh? You don't think I've given enough? You don't think I've paid enough? I'm done with it. All of it. And if you know what's good for you, you'd turn around, and get the hell out of here."

"Go!" Dean shouts. "I'm sorry." He says calmly after a moment. "I'm sorry. Please, just go. I got Nat."

"You know where I'll be." Bobby says. "Natty?" He asks. She doesn't respond and he knows there's no getting her to move.

Bobby leaves.

+++

"You know, when we were little... and you couldn't have been more than 5... you just started asking questions. Both of you, actually. How come we didn't have a mom? Why do we always have to move around? Where'd dad go when he'd take off for days at a time? Though, only you really cared about that last one. Natty cared at first, but that's also the same age that... that he started hurting Natty all the time."

"I remember I begged you guys, "Quit asking, Sammy, Natty. Guys, you don't want to know." I just wanted you two to be a kid... just for a little while longer. I always tried to protect you... keep you safe... dad didn't even have to tell me. It was just always my responsibility, you know? It's like I had one job... I had one job... and I screwed it up. I blew it. And for that, I'm sorry."

"I guess that's what I do. I let down the people I love. I let dad down... at least I used to care about that. I let Natty down more times than I can count. And now I guess I'm just supposed to let you down, too. How can I? How am I supposed to live with that? I mean... at least Natty hasn't gotten killed. What am I supposed to do? Sammy. God. What am I supposed to do?"

"What am I supposed to do?!"

~ ~ ~

Dean puts his jacket on and walks over to Natalie. He looks at her and she's still staring at Sam's body. Dean puts his hand on Natalie's head, brushing some of her hair away from her face.