Part 4 - Giggles

Seconds ever so slowly ticked by as the man named Joey gawked at his kind yet masculine house keeper slumped face first across his blooming roses. Prickly branches lay snapped and broken beneath her heavy form. Whilst deep crimson petals were carried around the grassy yard by the steady cool breeze of the wind.

Oblivious to the beauty of the floating petals Joey stood motionless, seeing only Bertha's mound like form as horror stole the colour from his ageing complexion. His heart beat raced ahead, the organ pounding angrily at his chest. His breathing slowed becoming almost none existence and his jaw threatened to drop into the porcelain basin due to the sheer shock he was suffering.

Little Olivia concerned by her Uncle's sudden strange behaviour and lack of breaths, silently abandoned her pretty pictures to tug eagerly at the sleeve of his pyjama shirt inquisitively inquiring, "What's the matter Uncle Joey?"

Her sweet musical voice cracked through his trance and he shakily pried his grip away from the sink to examine his beautiful young niece. Flinching at the sight of her blood stained chops he stuttered out warningly, "Olivia you-you mustn't b-b-b-i-t-e people!."

Her crimson painted bottom lip quivered as tears began to glisten in her bold emerald eyes. Her left elbow arched as her tiny hand left his sleeve to rest defiantly on her left hip while she whispered, "But I was hungry..."

Air caught in the back of the man's throat as his eyes bulged wide. The realization of his fears sunk deep into his veins, the realization of what his precious young niece was, of what she had become. He wondered idly why her, why him?

Multiple questions whirled around in his mind as nervous tremors began to vibrate through his body. He wondered what the future now held for him and his beautiful vampire niece.

Tears slowly rained down Olivia's pale cheeks, her bottom lip jutting out into a pout. Joey gazed into the eyes of the little girl he loved so dearly understanding that no matter what, those feelings of love and admiration hadn't changed, that they never would.

He reached his shaky hand outwards, gently brushing his bony finger against her soft cheek, wiping away her salty tears as he sputtered "D-d-don't cry darling. Next time you're hungry you tell me ok? I'll-I'll-I'll get you something different to -to eat-drink!"

Young Olivia's tears subsided as she nodded ruefully before whispering, "Yes ok."

"Good, now you go get cleaned up now sweetheart."

Obediently she nodded with a shy smile before pivoting away from him and dancing slowly up the staircase. Once in the bathroom she struggled to shove the straw chair towards the bathroom basin, climbing easily onto it. She then stood to face the mirror, smirking sweetly at her blood smeared reflection. Her eyes sparkling and her tiny fangs barred as she threw her head back and giggled.

Joey puffed nervously as he struggled to devise a cover story to explain why his house keeper's corpse now lay in his backyard, doubting he could dispose of her hefty body successfully and secretly. In an attempt to aid his lies he decided to examine the wounds Olivia's fangs had created, but to his horror when he swung the heavy back door ajar he stared in disbelief at his flattened bed of roses with Bertha's body nowhere to be seen.

Slamming the door shut he banged his forehead harshly against the surface, missing the simple life he used to have as he tried to ignore Olivia's shrill giggles that carried all through the house.

-X-

Thanks for reading + voting + commenting.

I wrote this along time ago + cannot decide if its complete or not.