Chapter Five

"Best it's going to get, I guess

"Best it's going to get, I guess."

Melody blew out a breath as she stood in the mirror, getting ready. She hadn't been on a date since her ex-boyfriend, and she was slightly nervous. Her hair was not cooperating; her long blonde locks were unruly, and didn't want to stay put. In the end, she secured it into a tight low bun, but the waves were falling out already.

She'd chosen a red sweater with a glittery logo of a reindeer on it and a pair of fitted jeans.

She'd texted Sadie to let her know she had an actual date earlier. She was stunned her BFF hadn't called or even texted her back. Sadie been nagging her to get out on dates forever. They always chatted and pumped each other up beforehand too.

What was going on?

She wasn't angry or annoyed about Sadie's distance anymore. Instead, she was feeling sad and left behind.

"They say friends can drift," she said softly as she glanced at her pillow-pal on her bed. "I guess that's what's happening."

It wasn't really a pillow pal, they stopped making those in the nineties. It was actually just a pink pillow, but it had Taylor Swift's face on it, so she called it her pillow pal.

She was just a tad obsessed with the songwriter. She once wanted to write and sing love songs herself, but her heart got crushed at seventeen, and she lost her passion for it.

"Damn, Bell, your voice is prettier than ever!" Austin's voice filled her head. After the movie last night, when they were walking her home, they got a little silly and started singing Christmas songs. He was being nice; of course, she was way out of practice.

"Mel, he's here!" Doug called from downstairs.

"Wish me luck," she muttered as she headed down to meet Trent.

"This town is incredible," Trent commented as he drove down Main Street

"This town is incredible," Trent commented as he drove down Main Street. "I feel like I'm in a Christmas movie."

"I love it," Melody smiled as he drove past the cute shops. "I was born December fifteenth, and I've always been obsessed with the season. I call myself a Christmas baby even though technically I'm not."