Prelude

"Mom! Melody is putting on makeup!" The shrill, obnoxious, and tattling cry of the pimply face demon rang through the air

The flaxen-haired teen turned from her large mirror with a scowl. Her forestry green eyes narrowed as they took in the obnoxious little brother attached to the voice. His stringy blonde hair was hanging in his brown eyes and he had a smug smirk on his plump lips.

"Melody! I said no makeup until you're fifteen!" Her mother yelled from a distance.

"It's just lotion, mom!" She yelled out the fib as she held a glare at her brother.

"No amount of that's going to hide those freckles," he scoffed at her.

"Shut up, Cooper," she snapped in annoyance. He was only a year younger than her. It felt like a decade sometimes, honestly.

"Will you two please hurry? We have a long drive?" Her mom Georgie's voice floated closer, as did her footsteps.

She stepped into the doorframe and sighed as she walked into the room. She was wearing a festive red sweater with a pair of jeans. Her long blonde hair was left down and silky smooth. There wasn't one freckle or blemish on her creamy complexion.

People often said Melody was her mom's twin. She had similar hair and a heart-shaped face. Her features, like her dark green eyes and a dash of freckles, were from her dad.

"Mel, I told you your freckles are cute a dozen times." Georgie's soft brown eyes studied her knowingly. "Don't try to cover them up."

"But mom!" Melody whined.

"Do you think your father's freckles are ugly?"

"No," she mumbled in annoyance.

As if it was the same thing, but she knew better than to argue.

"Good, then give me that." Georgie snatched the makeup away from her.

"Now hurry it up! We need to get you to the Thorne's place so we can get on the road." Georgie urged her along.

"Why do we have to go to the Thorne's anyway!?" Cooper whined, "we're old enough to stay home! We're teenagers!"

"You're not," Melody pointed out, "you're only twelve."

"Neither of you is old enough to stay home alone overnight." Georgie cut off the argument. "I want you both downstairs in five minutes. Dad and I would like to get to the hotel with time to get a drink."

Her parents were going to a wedding out of town this weekend. Since it was an overnight trip, they were staying at her parent's best friend's house for the night. Which also happened to be his house.

Austin Thorne, the star of every daydream she ever had.

She took one last glance in the mirror with a sigh. It wasn't that she hated her freckles so much as how young they made her look. If she covered them, maybe, she'd look older. She would be fourteen in a few short weeks. She needed Austin to see she wasn't a stupid kid anymore. If only her mom would let her wear makeup. What was the big deal anyway?