Chapter 14: Random Acts of Kindness

Maysara's POV

It has been a month or so since Tesneem and I decided to get married to Zaki and Zaeem. Since Zaki and Zaeem were so close, we were going to have both ceremonies together, like a double date. We had already done our nikkah, so we were islamically married, but we decided to do the same thing that Yessin and Amira had done; not see each other until the wedding day.

The agony was eating me alive! When I wasn't married to Zaki, I would be happy when I saw him, but I wouldn't crave it. As soon as we're married, I'm no longer allowed to see him! "Distance makes the heart grow fonder", I guess. Yaddayadda ya. I wanted to see him now.

As if on command, the doorbell rung. My dad ran down and opened the front door. My heart stopped. I wasn't supposed to see him, but it was Zaki, who had a bouquet of roses and sunflowers for me. My mom and dad came up to my room to give me the gift. Baba walked out oif the room but mama stayed with me, with a content look on her face.

Attached to the crystal vase was a hand written card, written by Zaki himself. "Just because I can't see you, doesn't mean I'm not allowed to spoil you.. P.S. part two is coming soon. I'll see you soon, my bride to be!"

My heart melted at his words. I saw a tear roll down my mother's eyes. I caught it and lifted her head to look at me. She looked up at me and whispered, while her lips trembeled.

"I'm so so happy for you, youre going to be such a beautiful bride, Maysara!"

She left the room after the hour that it took for me to soothe her. I sat on the edge of my bed and wondered why my mother was always so emotional. She wasn't like this when Yessin got married or when he moved out with his wife. I wonder why..

My phone buzzed and distracted me. I tripped over my eager legs, in hopes of receiving a message from Zaki. A message from Zaki, it was.

Zaki: hello, wonderful! I hope you enjoyed my small gift that I just dropped off!

Maysara: I did, Jazakallahkhairan! How thoughtful of you!! How did you know that I loved roses and sunflowers?

Zaki: I overheard you talking about them once. Everything you say, Maysara, I remember.

Maysara: Note taken. I will never embarrass myself in front of you because you will remember every little detail!!