Chapter 4: Secrets Revealed

Amira's POV

I patched the band aid onto my wounded knee and grabbed another for my bleeding palms. I jumped off of the countertop and began to pull down my pants again. I looked up at Maysara, whose head was stooped low, watching herself take slow and steady steps towards the staircase.

I felt slightly ashamed of the entire day's actions, and even more embarrassed looking at Maysara's look of disapproval but contentment on her face. Walking up the staircase, my gaze was also lowered, ashamed. A couple steps from the top, Maysara stopped and turned around. My head snapped up when she said-

"You know", Maysara said, "I'm really glad you told me the truth about what had happenedbtonight", she said, "It really means a lot, knowing that you can trust me like that"

My heart nearly melted into a humongous puddle.

"I'm glad I told you, too, Maycie."

"I'm really sorry, my brother is just a sucker for pretty hijabis, like you" Maysara teased, "honestly, I wish his imaan was a little stronger, being a hafiz and all. But then again, everyone makes mistakes.I hope this isn't a large enough mistake for you to be angry, though." Maysara continued. "I'm very sorry"

"No, no, Maysara! You have nothing to apologize for! You're right, everyone DOES make mistakes, I understand. What he did just caught me by surprise. I was just afraid things would get out of control.. You know... " I replied

"Thanks" Maysara.

And with that, we went upstairs and back to bed, both of us forgetting the real reason of getting out of bed. I got into my sleeping bag, right in between Tesneem and Amany, whom I realized were awake and talking to one another. I gasped, a little louder than need be, realising that they could have heard the conversation I just had with Maysara. I really hope they didn't. I do not want things to become a big deal, especially something was insignifigant but haraam at the same time. My thoughts deprived me of sleep for a what felt like hours. Soon enough, the quiet, steady breathing of the other sleeping girls finally lured me to sleep. And what a good good night I slept.

Tesneem's POV

I woke up around 4:00 in the morning, only to see that half of the four sleeping bags were empty. I sat up, confused, looking around to see where Maysara and Amira could have gone. They were nowhere to be seen. I decided that they probably were hiding or playing, so I just ignored their absence.

A few minutes later, I grew curious, wondering where they could have gone. I leaned over across Amira's sleeping bag, and poked Amany on her arm. She moaned. I poked again, hoping to wake her up. No luck. I poked once more, and said-

"Ppssst! Amanyyyy! Wake up!" I hissed.

She rolled over and opened her eyes. Finally!

"Wwhhhattt?" She groaned.

"Do you know where Maysara and Amira are? They arn't in here!" I responded.

"I don't know, let me go back to sleep. Don't wake me up until fajr, please" she answered.

I remembered just them that it's never a good idea to wake up Amany in the middle of the night. Amloves sleep, just as much as she loves food and her family. A disturbed night's sleep results in a tough day for her, anyways. My thoughts drifted me half off to sleep when the croaking of the stairs out in the hallway woke me up.

My heart jumped, thinking there was an intruder in the house. I then heard a familiar voice, Maysara's. She sounded a little upset, but glad, using the same tone that she used when she lost a competition last year. I decided to wake up amany , just in case.

Once more, I leaned over and poked Amany. Her head immediately snapped up and I clapped my hand around her mouth before she could scream.