Chapter 15-A New Game

"Alma?" You said as you walked around the first floor, looking for the woman. "Alma!" You said a bit louder in hope of catching her attention. This worked and she poked her head  out of her study. "It's the children." You turned to go walk outside, knowing she'd follow. "They've invented a game called raid the village. It's exactly how it sounds." You spoke as you walked. "Meanwhile a few of them are stuck in a tree."

"I'm too wabbit for this." Alma sighed.

"I understand your pain. I'll get the three in the tree, you gather the ones in the village?" Alma nodded and walked off.

It didn't take long to get Hugh, Fiona, and Millard out of the tree and you sat in Alma's study, writing a letter when Claire, who had been playing while her friends caused trouble, walked into the room. "Hello, do you need something dear?"

"Quire." She said quietly, clutching her doll close.

"Pardon me?"

"She needs quire." Fiona said simply as she entered the room. When she noticed your look of confusion she clarified. "Two dozen sheets of paper. To draw." You now nodded in understanding and went to go and find her some paper in a cabinet. "Claire is rather pauciloquent."

"I think that's more than fair." You responded and handed the girl twenty four pieces of blank paper you found. "I must say I on the other hand am a very bloviate person."

"No, you're just a nincompoop." Fiona said with a large grin before leaving the room.

"But Miss Peregrine!" You heard Olive argue. The group that'd played raid the village had returned. You went out into the hall finding everyone standing around, each looking upset. "The game was Enoch's idea!"

"That is such taradiddle!" Enoch yelled back. "It was Emma!"

"Accuse me again and March right back into town and buy a snickersnee to chop off your-" Emma was cut off by Miss Peregrine clearing her throat. "Sorry."

"You're all grounded. No exceptions. I don't care who's idea it was. Now, off you go." Alma said exasperated. You waited for all the children to clear the area before going up behind Alma and wrapping your hands around her waist. "Hello there, birdie." She smiled and leaned back into you, closing her eyes.

"Hello bluebird." You smiled when she rested her hands over yours and finally relaxed. "I hope they didn't do too much damage?"

"Nothing reset won't solve."

"I have something to tell you." You spoke before you could stop yourself. Alma hummed in acknowledgement but said nothing more. "Now isn't the right time though." You said so as to give yourself time to mentally prepare. "Would you like to take a walk with me in the garden after reset?"

She turned around in your arms, examining your face carefully. "It's not anything bad, is it?"

"That's a matter of opinion. But no, I don't think so." She nodded then leaned her head forward to rest on your shoulder. "Tired."

"Exhausted. And it's not even past three yet."

"You'll feel better as the day goes on."

"Of course. Thanks dear." She pulled away from you, kissing you on the cheek before walking off. You stared at nothing in particular for a long moment, your hand rising to touch your cheek, smiling to yourself.

—————

This chapter is short but I couldn't be bothered to make it longer as of right now.