Chapter 8-Papers

I made the art above. It's not the best but I'm proud of it.

—————

"Y/n!" Jared entered the living room. You looked up from the game of cards you were playing with yourself at him. He was holding a large stack of cards. "There are thirteen envelopes addressed to you. And one to the both of us." He took one card from the pile and handed the rest to you. You flipped through the stack and found that each of the children and Alma had written to you.

"Thank you. And what's the other one?" You asked, setting aside your pile.

He opened it, skimming it over before handing it to you. "The papers are through. We're officially divorced." You barley stopped yourself from showing your excitement. You were happy, but Jared certainly wasn't as happy as you were. He gave you a smile nonetheless. You grinned back at him. "I suppose you'll be leaving soon then?"

"Tomorrow. The day is half over anyway. If I left now I wouldn't arrive until dark tomorrow. Plus I have a few things I need to do before I go. Which I should probably start doing now." You stood up and began putting away your card game. "I'll read my letters then I'm going off to visit my fathers. They'll need to be made aware of my leave."

"Noted." He said then left the room. Once the cards had been put back in their place you picked up the top envelope, a letter from Claire, and began reading. Every letter was mostly the same, each child thanking you for their gifts, and some asking when you'd visit. The last letter you opened was Alma's as you always saved the best for last.

Dearest Y/n,

I believe thanks are in order. The children were all throughly pleased to find you'd gotten them things from London. And you certainly didn't have to get me anything, but I must admit I was running low on tobacco and you saved me a trip into town. But you've provided Abraham with an instrument of torture. He hasn't stopped seeking me out to tell me horrible jokes since he got that book. I know a few of the children have probably asked but I myself am also curious as to when you'll return? We all miss you, and the children have been complaining non-stop. Please, come back soon, for my own sanity. I fear I won't last a week with their constant complaints.

Love, Alma

Maybe it'd been a mistake to give Abe a joke book... No, worth it. You set the letters safely in one of your suitcases with the others. You'd been sure to pack them, knowing full well if you left them behind Jared would just dispose of them.

"Bye!" You shouted to make sure Jared heard you as you left the house. The walk to your fathers house wasn't very long. Thankfully they'd never been to keen of visiting you despite that fact. You loved your parents, but you don't think you'd be able to handle seeing them five times a week. You knocked on their front door and waited patiently for one to answer. "Hey Dad." You grinned at the tall man that'd opened the door.

"Y/n, you're back! Have you got news?"

"Indeed, the papers went through. I'm leaving tomorrow morning."

"Oh how nice. You'd better visit though." He opened the door wider for you and wordlessly gestured for you to come in.

You entered the house and began walking to the living area. "Of course I will."

"Is that my daughter I hear?" Papa came rushing down the stairs. He was taller than you, but not taller than Dad, who had to duck when he came through doors and often complained about his back. "Y/n!" He grinned and swept you into a hug. "What a pleasant surprise. Any updates?"

"Papers went through. She leaves tomorrow morning." Dad butted in and joined the hug.

"Oh that's great. Say, did you ever tell us why you were leaving in the first place?" Papa pulled back, leaving his hands on your shoulders should you try and run away from him. "You could remain in London you know."

"No, I don't think I want to remain in this place. I like it in Wales. Cairnholm is nice."

"You know Sharon's nephew's son's best friend visited that island once." Papa began matter-of-factly and he pulled his hands from your shoulders and began down the hall. "Said the population is small and most of the time it's dark and cloudy. Rumors of a real strange large family living in a big house in a clearing in the woods too. And where would you even live?" You followed him as he walked down the hall.

"I'm planning on staying with a woman and her thirteen children in a house located in a clearing in the woods." You grinned when both your dads looked at you shocked.

"With those weirdos?" Papa asked.

"You've never even met them. And for your information I think they're lovely people. They've been sending me letters in my absence and they're all very nice. Well, not Enoch. But the rest of them are." Your fathers gave each other a knowing look then shifted their gaze back to you.

"You're in love." Dad was the one to say as though it were obvious.

"Pardon?" You looked at them, shocked by their assumption.

"Why else would you leave London, a place you love, to go and live with a family you probably haven't known for a month?" Papa said with a shrug. "It's perfectly all right, you can tell us. Say, is it with the woman? Is my daughter gay? Have you taken after me?!"

"After both of us." Dad corrected.

"Yes, yes, whatever."

You looked at them both with a bored expression plain on your face. "Fine you're right. But she's straight! Don't you get any ideas." You saw the looks plainly on their faces, and you didn't want them metaling in your love life.

"Why are you moving in with a straight woman if you know you have no chance?"

"Because one, I'm way too hopeful. And two, I want to help her out. She has thirteen kids after all."

"Ah, pray tell, where did those children come from. Is she married perhaps?"

"No, they're her wards."

"What's her name?" Dad suddenly spoke again. You'd almost forgotten he was there.

"Alma."

"That's pretty." Papa spoke again. "Is she pretty?" You shot him a glare. "Answer the question."

"Yes." You groaned. "Don't you dare mess around with my life." You checked your wrist watch for the time. "I'm afraid I need to go."

"When do we meet you before you leave?"

"Come by my house at eight o'clock precisely. I'll leave August 30th and arrive in Cairnholm on September 1st."

"See you then."

"See you."

—————

Finally going back!