Chapter 7-Receiving Gifts

Alma woke up early per usual, and went to check the mail that normally arrived no more than ten minutes before she awoke. Today there weren't bills or letters from old friends. Nor any letters from you as she'd hoped. But a ton of boxes, stacked into four different short towers. She took the nearest box, a rather small one and read the label. It had been addressed to Claire and the return address was yours. She grinned to herself as she looked over the boxes and briefly wondered if any of them were for her.

She began bringing them into the house, one at a time to avoid dropping them in case any held anything breakable. Alma checked each label as she went, finding that each child had a gift. And so did she.

The children got up and came downstairs to eat. Alma didn't yet mention the gifts in the next room over, instead deciding to finish breakfast first. Though as soon as everyone was done she brought them to the parlor and gave them each their gifts, instructing them not to open the boxes until everyone had theirs.

Abe, impatient as always, opened his as soon as the last child got their box. He was overjoyed to find a book filled with dad jokes and immediately began flipping through it, trying to find a good one to use at the moment. After cracking the best one he could find within a minute, he picked up the envelope that lay in the bottom of the box and began to read it.

Dear Abraham,

Unlike you, good sir, I actually use proper introductions when writing letters. This book seemed fitting to you and I do hope you enjoy annoying everyone. I'm sure I'll be the reason they go mad now. Use it wisely, and don't torture Miss Peregrine too much.

Sincerely, Y/n

Enoch was happy to find that you'd gotten him organs like he'd asked. He'd be lying if he said he assumed you wouldn't get him any. Probably deeming you too squeamish.

Dear Enoch,

Despite you saying you don't much care about me, I got you a gift anyway. I hope these will be of use to you, they were horribly expensive despite that fact I was the only one in the whole market even interested in purchasing them. Maybe this will give you a reason to be kinder towards me.

Sincerely, Y/n

Horace gasped when he saw his new suit, it was wonderful but had been wrinkled while inside the box. He immediately rushed away to go and iron it flat again.

Dear Horace,

I hope this suit fits you and that it's styled to your liking. I wasn't positive on just what you like, but I saw this and it reminded me of you and your remarkable fashion sense. I must know though, have you ever been interested in making your own suits? I'd be more than happy to help you in sewing one together someday.

Sincerely, Y/n

The twins liked their new masks and went off to their room to go and try them on without endangering everyone around them.

Dear twins,

I sincerely hope you like these new masks. I'd be lying if I said I didn't find your old ones rather creepy. These are much more fitting for small adorable children such as yourselves. And I do like the pattern on the edges, I hope you can agree on that much.

Sincerely, Y/n

Claire looked happy with the hair supplies after having Miss Peregrine cut open her box for her. She rushed over to her headmistress to ask if the woman could do her hair. In reply the little girl got a 'not right now' and instead got Miss Peregrine to read her letter to her.

Dear Claire,

I so love your hair as it is, but it's always fun to mix it up once in a while. I'd be more than happy to help you style it when I visit next. If you'd enjoy that?

Sincerely, Y/n

Emma began reading the inside cover of her new books to find out what they were about, excited for something more to read.

Dear Emma,

I'm well aware of your love for reading. You have a smilier taste in books as I do, so I found it no challenge to find something you'd enjoy. These books will suit you well. And you might have to let me barrow one or two after your done with them.

Sincerely, Y/n

Olive tried on her new gloves the moment she got them and was more than happy with your selection.

Dear Olive,

I deemed these gloves both comfortable and stylish, I hope you can say the same. And if they don't last as long as I'd assume they will, let me know, I'll be sure to get you another pair. Perhaps a nice one if I can find anything better.

Sincerely, Y/n

Fiona loved the seeds but was reluctant to take them out of the box, upset you'd defied her letter. Though she knew full well that she'd grow them anyway.

Dear Fiona,

I know you told me not to get you anything, but I couldn't resist. I got you a nice selection of flowers I'd bet you've never seen before. Just do me one favor and don't plant the iris versicolor without me. I'd like to be there to see it when it blooms.

Sincerely, Y/n

Hugh was confused by his new net at first, but then picked up your letter and figured out exactly just what it was for.

Dear Hugh,

I believe having a net around your head will prove useful. Especially at mealtimes when everyone gets annoyed by your bees flying all over the place and landing on their food.

Sincerely, Y/n

Millard tore open his new magic set, wanting to try everything right away.

Dear Millard,

This seems like something you'd use daily. When I visit, I expect the best disappearing act ever. But I know you won't disappoint.

Sincerely, Y/n

Victor was confused to find he'd gotten clothing, as he'd never been nearly as obsessed with it as Horace had. But all made sense when he saw that Bronwyn held up an outfit nearly identical to his own. You'd written one letter for the both of them.

Dear Victor and Bronwyn,

I hope you both like these outfits. I struggled finding something that I thought you'd both like but would still match. If either or both of them don't fit let me know and I'll exchange them. And if you all out don't like them I'll find something better.

Sincerely, Y/n

All the children rushed off to do their own thing, most enjoying their gifts, a few just going about their day without them. Alma was left alone in the room and took the opportunity to open her own gift. Inside she found tobacco for her pipe, which she'd been meaning to get more of. She set it aside and opened the letter that had also been inside the box.

Darling Alma,

I found myself struggling to find a gift perfect for you, but eventually settled on something I hope you'll make good use of. With how often you smoke your pipe, I doubt that'll be a problem. I too miss you greatly. But I promise I'll be back again soon. I think you'll be happy to know I took your advice, I'm getting a divorce. Jared has been taking it surprisingly well. Though I can't say for certain when I'll manage to get the time to return.

Yours, Y/n

Alma smiled sadly to herself as she read and reread the letter. You didn't know when you'd come back, but she was indeed happy to find you'd taken her advice. Little did she know that you were a liar. You'd be back within two days time.

—————

That might've been too many letters in one chapter..