CHAPTER 46 | unmasked

📎A/N. Hello my lovelies... I hope you have enjoyed the journey so far. 

As some of you may be aware, Masked started on Wattpad and late last year was published out into the wide world. The final version differs in a couple of places to the original draft, but overall it has stayed true to the original intent and story line.

In 2016 Masked won a Watty. You could have pushed me over with a feather... I was that surprised.

To top this off, earlier this month (August) Masked won Third Place for Best First Book in the RWNZ Koru Competition. This is the Romance Writers of New Zealand competition for published works.

I am so very grateful for readers such as yourselves that give writers like me the courage to bring our stories to life. Without a platform like Wattpad, Masked would never have seen the light of day.

As warning, this is the last chapter, and is rather long. 

Thank you, and take care,

M.

PS. Don't forget you can follow me on Twitter @mnjgreenhill as well as like my Facebook page to get updates on what I am currently working on.

❧ ⚛ ✺ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ✺ ⚛ ❧

Nederland, Colorado, 4 Days later

Daniel collapsed in the chair, placed his elbows on his desk, and rested his head in his hands. A combination of relief and trepidation flooded him. He wasn't sure whether to be happy, sad, or worried. He let out a long exhale. They were finally home. Home where he could keep Parker safe and out of Elise's line of sight. Whether he could keep her out of the FBI, Homeland Security, and the CDC's line of sight was another issue entirely.

A warmth spread through his veins, and the corners of his mouth twitched. Even in her weakened state Parker was feisty. She had argued with him right up until they got on the air ambulance, and the doctor had sedated her. He couldn't understand why she thought she was putting him out, and that she should be returning to Portland, not Nederland. She belonged here with him. Where else would she possibly go?

He sat back in his chair and glanced at the door. Perhaps he should check on her?

Growling for not trusting the others, he resisted the urge. She was in good hands. Alice and his sister were tending to her and would stay until he caught up with the pressing issues that had been awaiting his return. Not that Parker would know he wasn't sitting vigil with them. She was still sedated, and it could take hours before she woke up.

He rubbed the back of his neck and refocused. Now that Parker was safe, his mind returned to a more daunting task. He had the unenviable responsibility of planning ceremonies for those who had lost their lives in the battle at Middlemarch. His chest tightened, and he struggled with the grief that was sweeping through his and Morgan's pack. Their fallen had died heroes. While Elise had gotten away, she no longer had an army behind her. Without them she was crippled. Their sacrifice had given his race a reprieve, but it would not be a long one. She was out there waiting to strike again.

Daniel was on the phone when Simon walked into his office later that afternoon. He motioned for him to take a seat. "I'll see what I can do about getting an additional supply of morphine to you." He paused. "I have to warn you, it won't be pretty."

He ended the call and rubbed the back of his neck. "That was the alpha from the Ethiopian pack in Wisconsin. There's a pack member with the disease. They have no doctor, and it's their first case."