CHAPTER 10 | death comes to nederland

Simon was just getting off the phone when she walked into his office.

"We have an updated list of people who purchased Wildfire from the second and third sites we found. It should be in your mailbox. I cross-referenced against local hospitals, GPs, and pharmacy records. I figure if they have been hospitalized at some point, or have a prescription for anything, they are most probably Human. This, at least, gives you a better starting point."

"Good thinking. It took us forever to get through that first list," Simon said.

"Alice and I spoke to one of the patients you brought in. It looks like Wildfire is being distributed by Werewolves."

Before she could continue, Simon's phone rang.

By his abrupt change in demeanor, she knew who was on the other end. Simon's shoulders pulled back, his muscles tense and ready for orders as he listened intently. "Parker's with me at the moment, and she pretty much said the same thing."

Simon activated the speakerphone, and Daniel grilled her about her conversation with Gail. She summarized their discussion, including who was behind the drug.

"She can't remember what he looked like, only that he had an accent."

"That supports the information we've received. Except instead of a club, we think it was a customer at the restaurant. The name of the Werewolf who killed those kids is Tyler. He worked at the restaurant," Daniel said.

Parker considered the available options. "It may be a long-shot, but if we can get hold of the security footage from the club that Gail was at, we might be able to identify him."

Daniel agreed to Parker's suggestion and instructed Simon to make the necessary arrangements.

"There's still one thing bugging me..."

Daniel's concern echoed through the phone. She had the same fear. "How are these Werewolves being targeted? I can't imagine anyone I know wanting to try Wildfire in the first place. Gail was susceptible because of the group of kids she hung with. She wanted to fit in. So naturally, it didn't take too much prompting to push her over the edge."

"I would say it wasn't too difficult at this end either. Tyler's pack shunned him. No other pack would take him in. As a result, he was feeling isolated."

Simon sat back in the chair, strain and anger evident on his face. "So, assuming that they are actively preying on vulnerable Were's, how the hell do they know who to target?"

The question hung in the air. The unknown force threatening the very existence of Werewolfkind was one step ahead of them.

"We need to regroup. There are names on the new list near where I am now. We'll see if we can track them down, and then head home. It should only take a couple of days." Daniel paused. "Parker, whatever you need, just let Simon know."

Once the call ended, she and Simon discussed the best ways in which to acquire the security footage. She suggested an option, but Simon zoned out mid-sentence.

Parker had been around Werewolves long enough to know he was having a telepathic conversation. Based on his expression, it wasn't a good one.

"Feck." He bolted out of his seat and rushed out the door.

Parker trailed after him. They made their way to the Pack House, and she spotted a white van speeding up the road. It entered the compound and skidded to a halt. No sooner had it stopped than three large men emerged from the vehicle.

Despite the van being stationary, it was rocking from side to side.

She froze when the doors opened. The patients brought in earlier had only minor visible blemishes that indicated something was amiss. The thing that emerged from the vehicle in restraints was neither man nor wolf. It was caught somewhere in between. Four enforcers were required to escort him out of the van and into the hospital.