CHAPTER 13 | breakthrough

Nederland, Colorado

Parker glanced around to make sure they couldn't be overheard. Alice had pulled her and Daniel out of the makeshift hospital to give them an update on her findings. From the dark circles under the doctor's eyes, she could very well believe Alice hadn't slept since the first death under her care.

Alice's mouth set in a grim line as they discussed the impasse in her analysis. She clutched the medical clipboard tightly against her chest. "None of this makes sense. There is a pattern, but I just can't see it." She sighed. "The drug is attacking from a cellular level and directly targeting the Werewolf gene within our DNA."

Parker cringed when Daniel's already staunch stance turned to stone. She felt his rage bubbling just below the surface. While she understood his frustration at their slow progress, anger wasn't going to get them to a solution any faster.

Before Alice retreated from her alpha's current mood, Parker reached out and touched her arm. "What pattern are you seeing, Alice?"

Alice's eyes darted to Daniel and then back to Parker. "It's strange, but some Werewolves have taken the drug with no apparent side effects. Others, like Gail, have symptoms and develop the physical manifestation with the sores, but their body is fighting it, and they are healing, albeit at a slow pace. Then there's the third group where the drug attacks the body to the point it shuts down and nothing seems to help."

Daniel unclenched his fists, but his still rigid shoulders spoke volumes. "Does the time they've been on the drug affect the progress?"

Alice shook her head. "No, it doesn't seem to. We have some that have been on it nearly two months, others only two weeks. Both are getting worse, but it's early days yet. If we can work out why it is affecting the patients differently, we may be able to determine how to fight it."

"What are your current projections?"

Alice pulled the clipboard away from her chest and glanced at her notes. "My guess is that of the twenty-three we have here, we are going to lose half over the next few weeks. There are four like Gail who we need to keep under observation to make sure that their symptoms recede. The remaining we can probably send home after a quarantine period."

"I'll make arrangements for quarantine quarters." Daniel turned to Parker. "I understand that Gail is assisting with identifying the man who introduced her to the drug?"

Parker nodded. "We managed to get hold of the CCTV from the club. She's with Jay and Zeke now. Hopefully, we have some footage of him."

"Keep me informed. Now, if you'll excuse me, the council is waiting for an update."

She and Alice watched as he headed toward the compound.

"There's a rumor Daniel is still on your case about working around the clock," Alice said.

Parker rolled her eyes and snorted. "Christ, isn't anything sacred around here?"

Alice flinched and Parker immediately regretted her outburst. "Sorry. I didn't mean to snap. It just frustrates me that everyone knows everything."

"You have to remember we have no secrets," Alice said. She paused and tilted her head. "Though speaking of secrets... how do you mask your scent?"

Parker froze. In the years since she had discovered the ability, no one had come out and asked her the question. She knew they wondered—it was evident on their faces when they first met her. But no one, not even Morgan or Clara, had ever asked her point blank.

Until now.

She avoided the subject. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Alice waved her off. "Don't get me wrong, I am not condemning you. For a Human, having everyone know what you feel when you feel it is a very unsettling experience." She smiled. "Don't forget, I was Human once. I can remember how frustrating it became when everyone knew if I was happy or sad or angry." She grinned. "Or even horny."