5

Jack let himself into the house and went in search of his younger sister. He discovered Jenny in the sunroom, watering a plant. The sunlight, coming in through the window behind her, bathed her in a warm glow, causing her brown hair to shine.

"Hello, Jack-Jack," she said, glancing in his direction.

"You've been watching The Incredibles, haven't you?" Jack said, grinning.

Her green eyes gleaming with amusement, she said, "Madi made me watch it with her."

"Sure, she did." Jack pecked her on the cheek. "Speaking of the little princess, where is she?"

"Napping." Jenny set down the watering can and glanced at her watch. "She was getting cranky, so I put her down for a short nap. She needs to get up in about ten minutes."

"I'll wake her," Jack volunteered.

"She'll be happy to see you." Jenny seized his hand and led him over to a pair of wicker chairs. They took a seat and she smiled at him. "I'm glad you came by. How's your day been?"

"Good," Jack replied. "I attended church and-"

"Whoa, hold the phone," Jenny interrupted, frowning. "Did you just say you went to church?"

Jack smirked. "I did. I attended with Mr. Benson's daughter."

Jenny raised an eyebrow. "I feel like I'm missing something."

"Because you don't have all the facts." Jack filled her in on everything that had happened over the past few days.

"That poor woman," Jenny said, her eyes wide with concern. "She has you, so she'll be all right. You will be careful."

"Of course," Jack said. "You know I won't take any unnecessary risks."

"I know you won't, but I still worry," Jenny told him.

"And I won't tell you not to," Jack said, "because I know you will anyway. Where's that husband of yours?"

"Ryan's playing golf with some friends." Jenny tucked several strands of hair behind her ear. "He's been working hard lately. Golf helps him relax."

"Have you talked to Mom recently?" Jack inquired, changing the subject.

"I talked to her yesterday," Jenny answered. "She's getting ready to take a trip to Hawaii to see Aunt Heidi."

At that moment, Jack's four-year-old niece, Madi, shuffled into the room. The sight of her long brown hair sticking up brought a smile to his lips.

"Uncle Jack," she cried, running toward him.

"Hey, Sweet Pea." Jack picked her up and placed her on his lap. He wrapped her in a hug and kissed her forehead. "Did you have a good nap?"

"Yep." Madi rubbed her blue eyes with her fists. "Did you bring me anything?"

"Madi," Jenny sighed. "You can't expect Uncle Jack to bring you something every time he visits."

Jack whispered in Madi's ear, "Check my pocket."

Giggling, Madi stuck her hand in the right pocket of his jacket. She came up empty handed.

"Try the other pocket," he said.

Madi checked the left pocket and brought out a mini Hershey's candy bar. Her eyes lighting up, she tore at the wrapper.

"What do you say?" Jenny said to her daughter.