1

Huddled inside her lightweight jacket, Rita Benson hurried through the chilly, damp night. She was on her way to the corner store, which was two blocks from her apartment, to buy a pain reliever for her aching head.

Rita turned the corner, her eyes scanning her surroundings. She was always aware of her surroundings when out and about by herself. She even carried a can of pepper spray in her jacket pocket. It was dangerous being alone on the streets after dark, especially for a woman.

Pain erupted in Rita's right temple. Wincing, she reached up and massaged the area. What she wouldn't give for two extra strength Tylenol and a cup of Chamomile tea. She sighed heavily and quickened her pace.

A bloodcurdling scream pierced the air. Her heart leaping into her throat, Rita stopped dead in her tracks and looked around her. All she saw in the glow of the streetlamps was empty streets and dark buildings.

Her pulse racing, Rita forced her trembling legs to move. While she walked she listened intently for any noise. It was eerily quiet. As she was passing by an alleyway, she caught movement from the corner of her eye and came to a halt.

Slowly, Rita turned and peered into the dimly lit alleyway. What she saw had a scream rising in her throat. She forced it down. A man in a hooded jacket stood over a crumpled body on the ground.

Rita took a step back, her foot coming in contact with a rock. The rock went skidding across the sidewalk. The man's head snapped up and he turned in her direction. Piercing gray eyes met her deep blue ones.

Rita's breath caught in her throat. She took another step back, the urge to run coursing through her veins. The man stepped toward her, raising the bloody knife he held in his hand.

At the sight of the bloody knife, Rita's flight response kicked in. She ran, because her life depended on it.

The forensic artist, Frank, turned the sketch pad around and showed Rita his sketch. She studied it intently while her mind conjured an image of the man from the alleyway. A shiver raced down her spine.

"That's him," Rita croaked.

"You're sure?" Frank inquired. "Take a minute and think about it."

Rita didn't need to think about it. That face would haunt her for the rest of her life. "That's him."

"Thank you, Miss. Benson," Frank said.

She nodded and regretted the movement when her head throbbed. "Would it be possible to get some Tylenol? I have a headache."

"Of course." He stood and went to fetch her some Tylenol.

Officer Peterson, the officer that had responded to Rita's 911 call first, entered the room. Following him was Jack Keller, the head of Rita's father's security detail. The sight of him had Rita sighing. His appearance meant her father had found out, which wasn't a shock to her. Jeremy Benson had eyes and ears everywhere.

Rita gazed at Jack. He was the type of man that stood out in a room. He was tall and well-built with short black hair and eyes the color of milk chocolate. At thirty, he was five years older than Rita.

When Jack's eyes settled on Rita she tried not to grimace. With her long auburn hair in an untidy bun and her clothes wrinkled she was a mess. She cleared her throat and shifted her attention to Officer Peterson.

"The body in the alley." Rita swallowed hard. "What can you tell me about her? Is - is she alive?"

"She succumbed to her injuries in the ambulance," the officer replied with a somber expression on his face.