Chapter 17 -- The Prince & Slave

"I can't believe that they have it here too!" as Erlend Thorfinnson ran ahead and picked a pink flower that was coated in a thick layer of ice "Kamelia!" he rejoiced, so happy for a 16-year-old Orkney boy slave

Daku Sato sighed, shaking his head "Erlend! Now really isn't the time for picking flowers! People might mistake you for a girl!"

"A girl!?" he laughed "You got to be kidding!?"

He stopped and looked at himself in a mirror as he frowned. The blonde hair, blue eyes, delicate facial feminine-like features, and emaciated body certainly did not help him being constantly misgendered.

"Don't be silly!" he joked "I can't actually believe that you have kamelia here! How did it get here? What does your people call it, Sato-san?"

"Tsubaki." he smirked "I know! That is what I will start calling you now! Tsubaki!"

"You are naming me after a flower?" as that was a dishonor to his once glorious tribe of Finnish Sea Kings. He grumbled as he accepted it. Erlend examined the flower as it irritated Daku so much that he wanted so badly to slap the ignorant child.

"Come along!" grabbing the boy by the arm as he was forced to hurry up "I am not going to be responsible for us being late again!" All the jostling had freed the flower from the child's hand as he watched it fall to the ground, floating in a puddle of murky brown water.

His eyes watched the flower sink as his mind was insulted with images of a bloody assault, his body bleeding out, and blood thirsty dog-like people gathering around him. He yipped out loud as the vision ended with a white fox girl striking him down hard with a powerful magic.

The vision was very powerful as he has been having them more frequently now. Daku looked down at him as he asked "What is it?!"

"A vision." he cried.

"About the northern waste?" he asked as Erlend nodded his head "Do you have any idea what we might face there, boy?"

"Death." he said, his voice sending chills up Daku's spine.

Inside the lodge, Daku told Erlend about what awaited him at the end of his journey. "All this time, life has been nothing but a game to you. But out there, the wilderness will swallow you up! Your tricks and sorcery will not save you, boy! The north is an endless expanse of snow and ice and ancient trees! Terrible monstrosities roam there, and the worst of them all are the fox-kin called kitsunes!"

"Kitsunes?" he asked, shivering.

"Ainu's that are crossed with wild foxes. They are more fox than Ainu. Cursed with terrible powers. The wind that you hear out there is them running. And shimmering cold glint is their claws as they cleave flesh from bone! Once a kitsune has you in their sight, they will not stop until you are dead."

He sighed, looking at the teenager quiver, scared stiff "But we have magic and warriors!" he cried, afraid.

"I am afraid that they are all useless." Daku answered "There are rumors that the kitsunes are now protected by a spirit of white fur and nine tails! 33 have gone into the forest and only three have returned...all of them deserters!"