Skarloey Railway (SR)

Crovan's Gate

Crovan's Gate is the first railway station to be built on Sodor by the Crovan's Gate Mining Company, which eventually turned its ownership to the SR. The layout of Crovan's Gate for the SR remains basically the same as you all know. Awdry did his research well on the area! With a platform right next to the mainline, a run-around loop for the engines, has now been upgraded to support a second platform, but that really is the major change to the area for the SR.

The line becomes a single track which goes right, over some points and behind the carriage and old works shed the engine sheds are also there with fuelling services provided in front of them. The transfer yards come next and they connect to the line when it leaves under the road bridge.

Cros-Ny-Cuirn

This station is only a little holt with a stone hut to keep people dry when it rains. It's a rare stop, mainly done for requests. It resembles a little of Rhydyronen on the TR. Unlike the TR though, the siding is not dismantled and is used for the trolley Ivo Hugh has used and some wagons go here.

Continuing on, the line swings over the road, due to the road hugging the side of the river bank, the railway was forced to have a crossing there instead and blast there way through the cliff side to have space to lay the track. This is recognised as the area where George the Steamroller rammed himself in Sir Handel whilst he was pulling a train up the line. Eventually after two miles, the road dips and goes away from the railway.

Glennock

This is small station on the line, it gained a passing loop to ease congestion at Rheneas station. The surrounding area is small hamlet of houses with an infamous Inn there. There is not much to say what has already been said about this station by Wilbert Awdry, so we shall continue.

Rheneas

A tunnel is situated before the station and once exited it, it wouldn't be long until you reach the gorge where the viaduct is situated. It is considered as a grand feat for architecture on the railway, at the bottom is a path for walkers and a stream which has the famous divided waterfall facing the viaduct near by.

The station is similar to Cros-Ny-Cuirn, with no passing loop and one platform. It is surrounded by trees and bushes though, no sidings, and has a water tower for the engines to have when resting at the station. Only a cafe and hotel dwell here for visitors.

However, once continuing on, a small bridge crosses over a small stream which connects with the previous one later down stream and an old watermill is situated close by. Not as grand like the ones seen on the NWR's Ffarquhar branch line or AR.

Skarloey

It is the final stop on this part of the railway. With two buildings situated either side of a double track. The line firstly goes to a 'y' junction which if you first goes left will lead under a bridge into the station with points for the other track that greets you before the bridge.

The lake is nearby and the area has become quite popular with visitors who spend most of their time here. Hotels and restaurants are provided as well as the Skarloey Funicular Railway which is a subsidiary to the SR. This leads down to the lake and other services given to visitors.

Past the station, a small yard is situated here, with goods sidings and a three row engine shed. It is not used as it once did, but the engines still can be seen sizzling nicely here. The line, however, still continues on. But we'll return to that in a bit.

Lakeside

The extension was first started in 1962 and was completed in 1965, just in time for the 100th anniversary of the railway. It splits at a junction a while after Rheneas station and runs round and above the first lake. Heading into the station which is two platform. There is a few sidings for the area, as well as a hamlet of the houses, with a small market for people to go to.

Continuing down the line, you'll eventually reach the second lake. This was an interesting landmark, as the engines are forced to go over it instead of around, creating a causeway. Frowned at first, but has now become a popular location to watch the trains go by. With the old ruins of the castle fortress on the hill nearby watching the trains go by. You'll eventually arrive at the 'y' junction and can either go to Skarloey station, or continue back down the line.

Ward Fell Slate Quarry

The selling of Ward Fell was how most of the funding was given for the Lakeside extension. The selling was done with the partnership of the S.R.F. and the M.O.D. It was later disbanded in 1985 for full operations to occur at Peel Godred though and the full operations of getting the equipment out was done for five years. It is now a tourist attraction, however, none of the engines go there now, with little to do. The rails aren't as well maintain between the quarry and main part of the railway.

Great Waterton Extension

Also another extension to the railway, though more drastic than the last. This line diverges before the tunnel and goes east towards the old town. Built in /2000, to 2009, the line has influx the amount of traffic to the railway, as well as the capacity of engines too.

Picnic Hault

This is really the middle of nowhere on the line and holds no real name. However, due to the steep gradient, it was felt that the engines need a break at the top before continue on to Great Waterton. So, a picnic area was built as well, where visitors can go. A passing loop is situated here as well with a platform next to it, a small wooden hut it also here to hold a member of staff as well as to have shelter for passengers.

Great Waterton

Blue Mountain Quarry