NWR: Brendam Branch Line

The Brendam branch line is very different compared to the other branch lines, most notably is that instead of a single track, the entire branch line has two tracks! However, the NWR consider it to be a branch line ever since the NWR amalgamating. The second track use to be closed and rotted away but never ripped up and when the SCC was founded and traffic increased significantly, the NWR decided to restore the second line and is still used today as the down line.

Greendale

Though not a station along the branch line, it should be mentioned since it is close to Wellsworth. Greendale is a small village located slightly north to Gordon's Hill and is usually forgotten about due to it only being a small residential area with a post office and a garage there, sometimes believed to be in the Lake District in Cumbria!

Similar to Ulfstead, bus services allow the residents to have an easy connection to the railway with transport to Wellsworth and though not as regular, Suddery.

Wellsworth

Previously mentioned in NWR: The Mainline, Wellsworth is the junction to the Brendam branch, with a passing loop ending, but allowing entrance to the yards on west side of the station and another entrance from the mainline on the other side of the station previously stated. There is a single platform for the branch line which is used for all passenger services coming to and from with the other track next to it being used as a run-round loop if a train is needed to be heading back down the line. However, this track is also used as a track for goods trains to arrive and be shunted. Several sidings are in the yards which are used to shunt the wagons. A carriage shed is also here and further up in the corner of the yards is a four-road engine shed which most engines on the Brendam branch use. A turntable is also position between the platform and the engine sheds so engines like Edward can turn away quickly when heading back up the branch line.

When leaving the station, trains go straight ahead and are split off from the mainline by an embankment. Common knowledge is that the branch line runs along the mainline before coming to a junction further along before Gordon's Hill and diverges off. This is incorrect, the branch line begins when leaving the station and turns right to head south. When travelling on the up line towards Suddery, you'll begin to head down an incline, it is not too steep but it is noticeable for any engines that struggle with inexperience, failed engines or very heavy trains behind them, many incidents occur here such as Emily struggling to climb it during bad rain and Oliver losing his trucks and them giving chase to him down the branch line whilst he was visiting.

Further information can be seen in NWR: The Mainline.

Sodor Scrap and Steelworks

Just before reaching Suddery, there is a junction that can be access and veers to the west slightly. This will lead to the Sodor Scrap and Steelworks. Once known to be Crock's Scrapyard, it was later massively invested on and moved south and became not only a scrapyard, but a steelworks which can take apart scrap and melt it down. However, it does built and manufacture things such as pipes and rails. Gabriel was known to work here before being "fixed" and currently Iron Harry and Iron Hubert work here (otherwise known as 'Arry and 'Bert).

Suddery

Though the capital of Sodor and considered the only city on the island, it is quite a small city, not even competing with the likes of Vicarstown and Tidmouth. However, St Luoc's Cathedral is unmatched with its architecture. With it being on the hill, it looms over the town. It has a similar design to the Lincoln Cathedral in Lincoln, some saying it is like a little sibling to it with it being slightly smaller in size. The administrative centre is also located here with most political debates happening here when not at Rolf's Castle.

As for the railway, the station is small and has two platforms for the up and down lines. The up line having the main station building next to it followed by the car park. When leaving the station, the line will immediately cross over a level-crossing and then pass the yards which have a few sidings and even a goods shed. Whilst going along further, you'll see the old harbour which was used by the old Wellsworth and Suddery Railway. But was closed down due to light traffic and has been left to erode away by the sea.

It is also worth noting another iconic location on Sodor here. Further down the line, you'll go along a flat area of land with the lovely scenery of the sea. Then you will turn to head slightly west for a bit, going past an old, ruined castle with on top of a hill.

Here we have Douglas pulling a mix-goods, heading up to Suddery, he is passing the old ruined castle as mentioned just now

Brendam

When reaching the station, you'll be greeted to a small yard, engine sheds and a turntable first before entering the station. The station has two platforms just like Suddery, the main building being on the down line instead. There is a wall on the other platform though with a circular glass canopy above, this was done to protect the passengers from when the winds are high.

Going past the station though will make you enter the harbour, most commonly known as Brendam Docks. Popular belief is that Brendam is the biggest harbour on Sodor, however, it is mistaken. The harbour mostly serves the fishing industry and Sodor China Clay Company (which was founded in 1948). It is a rare sight to have ships come to the docks that aren't related to those two industries.

Nowadays, Jackie, a 5700 class pannier takes the China Clay trains to Tidmouth for the bigger ships, however, ships do come to the docks in which Timothy, an LSWR B4 helps shunts with Bill and Ben sometimes helping as well.

I also like to mention that Brendam's tracks and the line that leads to Suddery were originally built by Fochan Ellon Logging Company, who had also built a bridge to Fochan Ellon, Sudric for Misty Island (pronounced Fock—an El—lon). When the company and railway were shut down, the bridge was mostly demolished with the remaining bits falling into the sea. A few ends of the frames of the bridge can be seen at either end with the tracks in the harbour still leading towards the bridge. Although never being able to have engines on it anymore due to the points being replaced with straight rails.

Sodor China Clay Line

The old route to the clay pits have been changed to allow larger engines such as Timothy and Jackie to get to the pits with infrastructure allowing them to go under them with damaging themselves.

The route leaving Brendam Docks is all owned by the SCC, any NWR engine is not allowed on it unless permitted by the company. The line goes around the town of Brendam but then reaches a place known as The Drain, this part dips a bit and when raining it easily floods, but it never reaches the engines fireboxes when passing through it; usually.

At last, you will reach the white hills of the clay pits, before the expansion in 1993, it was only in area that did the digging. But more clay was found further in the hills and a new area was constructed with a tunnel allowing engines to reach the area. This location had more sidings and more space. The tunnel is big enough for all the engines in the SCC, even Marion, but only she, Bill and Ben mainly go to that area to dig and shunt.

The first area of the pits have engine facilities which have a coal bunker and water tower. An engine shed is here as well which was expanded to a three-road shed, allowing Timothy to be stationed there with Bill and Ben. Marion sits next to them but has her own shed since her shovel is too big for those sheds. Jackie sleeps at the sheds at Brendam.