𝟎𝟐

"You're fired

"You're fired."

"What?" my assistant gasps, tears already welling up in her soft eyes. I slide a box of tissues over my desk- her hands immediately taking five of them. "Why?"

"You've been here five years, Annalise, but you're not doing your job correctly."

"What?" she sniffles. If every time she sniffed was a dollar, I'd be ten times richer.

She slides the box of tissues back to me, but I make no move to grab them. I have a feeling she'll need them again when she realizes my decision is final. Annalise was hired by my partner, who's no longer here, and the only thing she's done right is show up to work on time. Everything else is a disaster which leaves me to pick up the fallen pieces.

I could always get another assistant but I wanted to give Annalise the second chance that everyone said I should give her. I did, and we're back in the same situation...with me firing her. She's so sweet and bubbly, and it sends a feeling of guilt through my body. Alas, being nice and being capable of your work are two different things. She could run tons of businesses if they relied on kindness.

"Please, Ms. Caddel, I can do this. I just need another chance."

Annalise could plead with me all day and my decision would stay the same. I give first chances and I give seconds, but I don't give thirds. Third is too much leniency and a person could think your soft on them- could try to take advantage of that. I don't like being taken advantage of.

"Could I at least stay in my office for the rest of my work hours? You know, to pack up and say goodbye to everyone?"

"Yes," I nod. "I will miss you, Annalise. You were a good energy that everyone- even I, needed."

Annalise smiles at my words while standing up to leave. "Thank you, Ms. Caddel."

"Of course."

Annalise leaves my office, quietly, no doubt going to say goodbye to everyone like she promised. I lean back with a sigh, feeling the same guilt creep onto me. Working morning to night shifts with minimal breaks can take a toll on you. I need another assistant- one that'll do their job correctly. Instantly replacing Annalise feels like a slight betrayal that needs to be done.

"Own a business, Ziya," I mumble to myself while stacking up papers that I've already dealt with. "You'd be rich, Ziya, you can make professional friends, Ziya."

"Talking to yourself again?"

My head snaps up to see one of my favorite co-workers. James Dalton. He's one of the only ones who can skip out on some meetings and show up a week late to work. He takes his job very seriously and finishes work that I haven't even assigned to him, or anyone else yet. Like the time I got a case on a murder, and the guy needed a lawyer. Wow, was he surprised when James proved him innocent in a maximum of two days.