The Burial

The castleyard was empty. The gates closed. Behind the gates, quiet buzzing of a large crowd could be heard. But inside the gates was a deathlike silence. The Royal Family, King Sean of Clonmel, the Rangers, the Skandians, Seley el'ethen, Baron Arald, Jenny and Pauline all watched as Will, Gilan, Horace and Maddie carried Halt's body outside on a stretcher, and carefully placed it on a cart.

It was a simple, black cart. Halt's body rested on a small platform, covered with his Ranger's cloak. His weapons, Duncan's flag, a pot of honey and a full coffee mug were displayed at the head of the cart. In front of the cart stood Abelard, patiently waiting to serve his master one last time. After this last act of service, he would retire to Young Bob's place.

Will joined Abelard in front of the cart, as the others took their place behind it. Pauline stood directly behind the cart, head held high but at the same time leaning on Gilan for strength. Will signalled for the guards to open the gates. He softly spoke to Abelard while stroking his neck: "Just once more, Abelard. Let's make him proud."

Abelard neighed softly and shook his manes. The gates opened. Abelard stepped forward. The cart creaked as it started to roll. Abelard pulled the cart with ease, proudly stepping through the gates and onto the road. The crowd watched in silence. As the body passed by, they took off their hats and caps, and bowed their heads to honour the Ranger.

It remained silent. Everyone waited until the cart could no longer be seen in the forest. Several of Redmont's soldiers guarded the road, ensuring no one could follow the procession.

Halt and Will had talked about their last wishes a long time ago. After a particularly close encounter with death, both had felt it was necessary to discuss it. Halt had shown Will a small clearing in the forest where he wished to be buried. Will led the way to the clearing, where some of Redmont's soldiers had dug a grave earlier that day.

During their first time in Skandia, Halt and the three youngsters had witnessed the Skandian approach to a funeral. Halt had rather liked their approach, and it had inspired him for his own funeral. Knowing the odds were high that his loved ones would be away on missions, there had to be a short mourning period that allowed for them to travel to Redmont. Although he probably would not have appreciated the big memorial service, Pauline had decided it would take place. She felt everyone should have a chance to honour and mourn their legend Halt.

The burial itself was to be kept brief. Instead, Halt wanted them to gather afterwards around a big campfire, eat, drink and tell tales about their adventures with Halt. Although he was widely known as a gruff, grumpy Ranger, his loved ones knew him better. And that was how he wanted them to remember him. So they were to laugh and share their tales.

Will, Gilan, Horace and Maddie once again took their places besides Halt's body. They bowed their heads as Pauline approached to say her last goodbye. She carefully placed her hand on Halt's covered body, then rested her head on her hand. She stood there for a while, silently communicating with her husband. Finally, she lifted her head and whispered: "Love you, Halt. Always have, always will."

As she stepped back, Halt's four pupils took a moment to silently say their last goodbyes. Then, Will signalled it was time. Everyone gathered around the grave as the four picked up the stretcher and carried Halt's body to his final resting place. They carefully lowered it into the grave and picked up the shovels. Will handed his shovel to Pauline, who put the first shovel of soil on the body. Then she watched as her surrogate (grand)children finished the job.

With one last glance at the grave, Will guided Pauline away towards the cabin.

A small gravestone had been made to mark Halt's grave. It was simple, just as Halt had wanted it. Halt had wanted it to be engraved with just his name, but Pauline vetoed that decision. Instead, carved into stone were the words:

Here rests Halt O'Carrick

A legendary Ranger

And an even better Husband, Father and Friend