Chapter 18: A R.I.D.I.C.U.L.O.U.S Pheonix

(Decided Ember's roommate *plops one of my own OCs into the story*)

Virgil's POV
(Warning for: Mentions of injury)

     I groaned as a gasp from Ember woke me up, and rolled over on the couch. "It's a cat! Aslov look it's a cat!" Ember cheered. Cat? I thought in tired confusion. "Wait... Where's Virgil?" Ember then asked, sounding concerned.

     Shit...

     I looked up, tiredly blinking open my eyes. I stood up and stretched, then made the sound of a startled cat as Ember squealed happily and picked me up. "Help." I tried to say, only for it to come out as a cat sound. Great. I shifted didn't I? I thought before escaping Ember's arms and shape shifting again. Ember gasped again, then clapped his hands. "He's a shapeshifter?" Ember's roommate asked, walking over to us with a curious expression. "That's so cool!" Ember cheered.

     "I guess..." I muttered, shrugging as I looked around. Ember's roommate, who I assume is Aslov, had long silver hair pulled into a ponytail, and dressed in formal clothing. He seemed much calmer than Ember did, but still seemed excited about my abilities. "That is very impressive." He agreed with Ember. "Thanks? Uh... sorry for bothering you guys... I'll uh... I'll get out of your hair." I murmured. "You aren't bothering us at all!" Ember insisted.

     "Besides, we're about to go and get breakfast. You can come with us if you like." He then offered. "Uh... Sure." I agreed. I was calm now, the tea, distraction, and good nights sleep helped a lot, but I still wasn't ready to face my friends...

     Or Roman, for that matter.

     I would see them at the game, since I should probably be there to cheer Remus on.

     I walked with Ember and Aslov to the kitchen, listening as Ember hummed to himself. "Do you want to talk about what happened?" He eventually asked to fill the silence. I shrugged, thinking about a way I could tell him what happened without telling him too much. "They... My friends want to stay in Auradon. They don't want to go back when Summer comes. I want to go back. This place is so different from anything we know, and the more I try to understand it the more things feel unstable. The more things I do understand start to fall apart. I broke down... and now I'm not sure what to do." I explained.

     "Being in a new place can be stressful." Aslov validated. "And I can definitely see why leaving your Mom and home behind would be scary." Ember agreed sympathetically. I nodded. "I understand why they're so okay with leaving everything behind, they didn't have a great life there... but they're expecting me to do the same, and I... I don't know what to do." I explained. "You do have two weeks before summer vacation starts." Aslov pointed out. "Yeah, that's plenty of time!" Ember agreed. "They want me to make the decision now..." I told them, fidgeting nervously with my hood strings.

     "Why?" Aslov asked in confusion. "It's... complicated." I sighed. "I don't know what to do... They've been off doing their own thing since we got here, none of them have been there for me, and now they expect me to leave everything behind for them." I muttered. "That doesn't sound fair." Aslov commented. "It's not." I agreed. "Well, what do you want? If you didn't have to choose between your Mom or your friends, if you just made a decision for you, what would you want?" Ember asked.

     "I don't know... everything's just falling apart, and I'm trying to keep it together, but everything I do is just like trying to fix a broken arm with duct tape... Actually no that would just be like using a cast... uh... Fixing a carriage with duct tape? Or maybe scotch tape... You get my point." I muttered. "Sometimes things need to fall apart before you can repair them." Aslov commented, causing Ember to gasp. "Like a Phoenix!" He cheered. "A what?" I questioned.