Sixteen.

Ever since Dennis's accident, I've tried to keep my distance from Sammy...or anyone of the male species for that matter. I had to sneak out the back of my job again just to visit Dennis and bring him flowers. At least he's awake now and in stable condition. He still had no idea as to why someone would tamper with his brakes. I felt horrible sitting there and listening to him try and figure out who he'd pissed off to that extent and he couldn't make a conclusion. He's too nice of a person. If only I had enough evidence to back me up, I'd give a statement to the cops. But just telling them that I think it's my supposed-to-be fiancee, it would only sound like an accusation, a woman scorned & out for vengance.

Today is my day off and I've been missing Sammy terribly. Talking on these cheap phones with crappy service has been a pain. We've been so busy at work that we haven't had time to sneak off to a closet somewhere. And for all I know, my spy could be a member of the gym now, watching me in that way. I didn't want to take any chances.

"I miss you," I told Sammy over the phone.

"Miss you more, even though you just saw me yesterday," he chuckled.

"You know what I mean."

"I know, I know. We just have to plan this out, get Nick right where we need him and you'll be free."

"I don't even know how that's gonna go anymore," I sighed. "He wanted me to go to New York instead of him coming here but I refused. Then he just said okay. He never just says okay."

"Well, don't worry babe. We'll eventually get him. I hate that you're going through this. Wish I was there."

"Well, wait. My mom's about to go to the grocery store. You should bump into her and convince her to let you help with the groceries. That way if my house was still being watched, it wouldn't look weird."

His laugh sounded so sexy, I couldn't wait to experience it in person again. "Anything for you, babygirl."

Knowing my mother, she would be there for a good two hours. That should be enough time for Sammy to shower and get there. I quickly showered, put on a little perfume & makeup, and had lunch. After a quick cleanup of the kitchen, I went to take the trash out. But when I opened the door, I dropped the trash bag at the sight of Nick stepping out of a rented Camaro. He smiled, running his hand over his gelled hair slicked to the side. I quickly glanced down the street to see the man in the car was gone. Of course. Nick straightened his tailored ivory blazer before coming toward me.

"What are you doing here," I asked him, clenching my fists shut.

"I...was supposed to return," he said looking side to side as if I were the crazy one on the block.

I picked up the bag of trash and speed-walked to the bin, placing it inside.

"I don't want you here, Nick," I told him as I made my way back to the front door.

Before I could shut it, he stopped me, letting himself in.

"You've had enough of getting what you want, Har."

"Stop...calling me that."

"Why do you hate that so much," he laughed. "You're so cute."

"My father used to call me that, you know this."