Day six (2)

It’s already rather late when we head back to the camping side. We stayed at the river the whole afternoon and I even went in with him once again, after he tried to talk me into it for about an hour. This time, he had to drag me out again and laughed at me so I punched his upper arm and he wouldn’t stop complaining about it for at least ten minutes.

We then stayed at the small beach for a little, me reading a book, him drawing into his journal. I wanted to see what he was drawing but he kept hitting my forehead with the journal when I tried.

Now we’re back at the car and he’s trying to cook a curry out of the can on the camping stove. The process contains a lot of quiet cursing and hitting the pot with the wooden spoon as if it’d help while I’m laughing at him.

“This is one of the moments where I wish I could be angry easily”, he says, “because I’d like to hit you with the wooden spoon, not the pot.”

I just grin and continue texting Zayn for a bit.
“Who you texting and grinning so stupid anyways? Boyfriend?”

“Why are you just assuming I’m gay?”, I ask and put my hand onto my hip, “That’s rude.”

He laughs and turns of the stove, looking at the dark clouds on the sky concerned, “You just proved my point.”

“No, not a boyfriend. Best friend. Getting drunk and throwing parties in our flat while I’m not home. That’s exactly why I escaped.”

He laughs and puts two bowls onto the small table. “It doesn’t sound that bad. You could’ve stayed.”

I shrug and push myself off of the seats. “I don’t know. Needed some quiet time, I suppose. To think and chill and not party.”

We sit down at the table, me on the chair, him on the black plastic bucket. “Where’d you get that from, anyways?”, I ask, pointing to it.

He puts some of the curry into mine and his bowl, taking his time to answer as if it was something he actually had to think about.
“It was laying around just next to the van. Some people go fishing here. I don’t know, it didn’t look like it belonged to someone.”

“So you stole it.”
He rolls his eyes and doesn’t answer before starting to eat. I grin and try the food myself, having to admit that it’s better than anything I ever tried to cook on that stove.

We continue to eat in silence, mostly, except for Harry praising his own food and me telling him to shut up about it.

After we ate, it’s already getting dark so we decide to head to bed. I brush my teeth at the van because I’m too lazy to walk to the toilets but Harry insists on getting ready for bed properly so I’m already laying down when he comes back.

I still won’t face him in my sleep because it’s very awkward, having to sleep in a bed with a person you barely know, but at least so far, he didn’t tell me I’m snoring yet, so I suppose we will be fine.

“Night”, Harry mumbles after having taken ages to get into a comfortable position.

“Goodnight, sleep well.”

“You too.”

The thunder is the first thing that wakes me up again. It’s really fucking loud and I nearly hit my head on the ceiling when waking up in shock.

I stay there, eyes wide open, trying to calm my heartbeat for a while before I look over at Harry who’s laying next to me, not moving.

I suppose he’s asleep until looking closer, realizing that his eyes are opened just as wide as mine.

“Fucking weather”, I mumble, waiting for an answer but all I hear is the unbearable loud pattering of the rain falling onto our roof.

“You okay?”, I ask, louder this time, just in case he didn’t hear before.

It thunders again just seconds later and I can nearly feel Harry tensing up beside me. I move a bit closer to hear his way too rapid breathing and see one tear running down his cheek.

“Hey, Harry, what’s wrong?”

He closes his eyes slowly and I watch the way his chest raises and falls with every deep breath he tries to take.

“Don’t like storms”, he whispers and tries to wipe away the tears that are now falling down quicker than before, “Not at all.”

“No need to be scared”, I say, trying to calm him down. “Nothing can actually happen. The car is kind of like a safe space, you know. It’s this metal cage, basically. Faraday cage, you know?”

He nods slowly, still not being able to breathe properly. “Know that. Still feels safer in a house.”

“What scares you, exactly?”

He doesn’t answer and waits until the next thunder gets quiet again. “Everything. The noise.”

I sit up and bend over the mattress to reach for my backpack laying on the floor. I search through the side pockets for my phone and headphones, plugging them in and opening Spotify.

“There”, I say and hand him one.

He plugs it in and I turn on ‘Heart-shaped box’, by Nirvana, hoping it’ll calm him down somehow.

I lay down next to him again, plugging in the other earphone. I feel his shoulder pressing into mine as his breathing gets a little more regular while the song is playing.

It thunders again pretty loud just a few seconds later and I feel Harry tensing up again so I reach over his body and take his hand, leading it up to his ear and pressing it there, hoping it’ll cancel the noise a bit.

I let my hand rest on his for a bit, my chest pressing into his side as the song quietly fades into the next one. I take my hand away again after some time, using my other one to cover my own ear now, trying not to concentrate on the way his shoulder feels against mine too much, listening to Kurt Cobain singing another song instead.

I’m not sure how long we stay there, for about ten songs, maybe, before the thunder gets a bit quieter and the pattering on the roof isn’t louder than the music anymore.

I look over at Harry who has his eyes still opened, staring at the ceiling, mouthing to the lyrics silently. I smile softly and look away again, thinking about how weird all of this is.

After some time, he takes away his hand from his ear and wipes his cheeks, curling into fetal position so he’s facing me.
“Okay?”

He nods so I turn of the music again and smile at him a little tiredly.

“Yeah. Thank you. Better now.”

I turn to my side too, facing him this time, just so I can check if he falls asleep again soon. He tilts his lips and I smile back before he closes his eyes.

I wait for a bit, until his shoulders move regularly again and his eyelids stop fluttering.

“Harry?”, I ask, just to make sure he’s sleeping and when he doesn’t answer, I smile satisfied and close my eyes, drifting of to sleep again quickly.

~~~

hope you liked it

have a great day/ night<3333