Day two (1)

The next morning, I wake up rather rested, not even my back and neck hurt badly. I tilt my neck until it cracks satisfyingly and reach for my phone.

I didn’t get any further messages since yesterday except for an audio by Zayn. I already know it's going to be a mess before pressing the play.

“Hi Louuuuuu”, he babbles when I click the button, “So, all I’m saying is, I kind of used your toothbrush because my mouth felt disgusting but I accidentally dropped my toothbrush into the toilet and then I totally got embarrassed but yes, I hope it’s not too bad and I hope it’s not too bad that I caught this couple having sex in your bed because I swear, I totally told them not to. I swear. I don’t even know them; I swear. Okay bye, I love you so so so much Louis, bye.”

“Oh my fucking God”, I mumble and send Zayn a message in which I tell him I hope he never does something that’ll make me angry again because I’ll publish that audio on YouTube as revenge.

I get up fully, change into a shirt and sweatpants and unfold the backseats again before climbing onto the drivers seat. I open Spotify and the map on my phone again before searching for the closest gas station.

Turns out it’s only quarter an hour away. I really hope I’ll find a small shop there as well because I need a toothbrush and some breakfast.

I can’t wait until I reach the first campsite I chose and have a day break of driving. I chose not to have too many breaks so I could drive around a bit but also didn’t want to spend my whole holidays driving.

When I arrive at the gas station, I’m happy to find a toilet I can brush my teeth at as well as a little shop where I purchase two sandwiches, crisps, gummy bears and some water.

I also fill up my tank and send a weird selfie of me in front of the car to dad to show him that I didn’t crash his precious baby, and I mean the van, not me, yet.

I sit down on some bench in the grass and eat my sandwiches, enjoying the morning sun for some time. Even though I usually get up rather early, I do enjoy sleeping in in the holidays so it’s nearly midday when I continue driving.

I’m planning to get to some beautiful lake Liam recommended by this evening but it’ll take another five hours, so I’ll have to keep driving if I still want to have time for lunch and a refreshing swim later.

‘She moves in her own way’ by the Kooks is playing when I pull into some big serve area to walk around for a bit after some time, because my legs hurt like crazy, and use the restrooms.

I come back to the car and sit down on the step of the drivers seat, stretching my neck for some time.

“Um”, I hear someone next to me quietly, “Hi. I was wondering whether you were heading south, by any chance?”

I look up to see some green-eyed boy with a bun staring down on me. “Are you trying to get into my car?”, I ask.

He nods, carefully. “Kind of.”

“Why would I let you do that? You could be a serial killer.” I cross my arms in front of my chest with a heavy sigh and look up at him expectantly.

He nods. “Yeah, sorry.”
He turns around and walks away without saying a further word, hands hidden deep in his pockets. I roll my eyes. I’m not going to take him with me, for fucks sake. I’m not a maniac, what if he’s crazy?

Even though, as I watch him walk off, trying to ask two other drivers and sitting down on a bench, hiding his face in his hands, I can’t really imagine him that desperate to get someone killed that he starts crying when it doesn’t work.