CHAPTER TWO

𝙉𝙀𝙒 𝙈𝙀𝙓𝙄𝘾𝙊 is all desserts and dunes when you first enter in the state. But Albuquerque, it happens to be the same when you first enter the city, too.

But once you get past tall the deserts, dunes, sand, short and tall cactuses. Even fences with barbed wire; there you will FINALLY is a small but visible town in your eyesight.

I sigh in complete relief and put a piece of gum into my mouth. I only do this because I know my Aunt Marie's side of the family's history dealing with the addiction to smoking. I pull in a nearby gas station that is conveniently located once you drive into the first small town you see to fill up my tank, noticing that my car's gasoline tank was almost completely empty.

I step out of my minivan to get greeted by the perfect temperature and warmth of the foreign Albuquerque sun and rays. I exhale in content. I pump gasoline in my van's tank after doing a gentle push on the button of the option of the amount of gas I need.

As my car processes on the gas, I pull my loose waves up in a high ponytail to cope with the sun beaming down on my all black emo-gothic attire of clothes that I am wearing. Having dark hair, it also doesn't help a bit, no. A lot, it doesn't help you by a lot.

Holy shit man, I seriously did fuck up. Terribly. I forgot about it possibly being warm or hot here. Oh well, at least I will stand out.

I breathlessly giggle at my thought as I notice my total comes up, I take the gas pump out and put it back in the holder. I close my gas pump hole and cover it back up. I soon open the driver's door and grab my wallet and non-track phone from the glovebox.

I lock my minivan up after closing both the glovebox again and the driver's door. I jaywalk up not giving a fuck to look both ways. If I get killed or ran over, they'd honestly probably be doing me a favor. I walk inside and the cashier looks over and her eyes furrow a bit in confusion. "Hello ma'am, it looks like you are far away from here. Can I give you anything?"

My flirtatious self comes into play, I learned this act from my Aunt Marie. "How about a kiss, doll?" Her face goes from shock to blushing a bit. "W-What?" She squeaks, she looks no more than the age of nineteen. Eh. I mean she is curvy in all the right places. I wink at her as the door opens behind me. "Lane 6, cutie. Oh, and I will also be paying for some water and other shit, keep the change."

I flirt as I pay with three hundred dollars. Her face reddens even more causing me to giggle lowly as she fumbles with the money. I cup her face and neck gently, I then kiss her cheek as there's a throat being cleared behind me before I can platonically kiss her on the mouth.

I notice that I left a kiss mark. I turn around an see an elder looking male. I get off my tippy toes. I take out my switchblade boldly and he raises his hands before taking out his pistol. I give him a raised brow, he does the same. I get instant grandfather vibes from him. I smirk and lower my weapon. then pay him for my troubles which he gives my a confused look then drags me outside and slams the money I gave him to the cashier with a warning look as if to kill.

She goes back to working quietly, without another word. He drags me to my minivan. "Who the hell do you think you are to be doing that? She could be calling the cops right now on us, kid." He speaks warningly, but clear with a threat, I give him a bold look.

"I could have kissed her, if you didn't intervene." My tone is bland, he gives me an annoyed stare then mutters to himself. Something about how someone named Gus will not believe this has happened to him with a low chuckle. "Say, kid, what is your name?" I feel my phone buzz in my pocket, but I choose to ignore it.

"My name is Serena." I nod then stand firm like I would in the Corps. He hides an amused grin, "At ease, Sar–" I shake my head at him as I ease up with ease, "You give veteran vibes, my father is a retired Marine and my mother, well um she was a Navy Seal and I uh–" I stare at the floor, I feel his eyes on me in silence. As if he's trying to figure me out. "Do you have anyone to live with?"

I nod, even though it's a big change and I suddenly feel a bit uncomfortable by it. I feel more comfortable with this man for some reason. "Let me see, you fucked up numerous of times." He pauses to have a better look at me, I stare at him boldly. Unafraid, is a better term for it actually.

"Your step-mother soon found out and forcefully kicked you out to a relative's place all the way out here which you haven't been to in years?" The man guesses and profiles, I look up at him in complete disbelief.

"How did ya- How'd..." I stammer, he gives me a blank stare before reaching up for the deal's money. which is on my lane, "Your accent sounds New Yorker, more specifically that you are from Brooklyn. Secondly, you are the only second adult that I've seen that is a goth-punk." He pauses to take a breath.

"Thirdly, you are more comfortable talking to another drug entrepreneur's hitman than getting back in your car and driving where you need to be." I lick my lips, a bit speechless and stunned. So, I'm not alone in fashion wise? Nice. Great, I can give pointers and even gain advice. I can't wait to meet this other goth-punk.

"Tell this other goth-punk to look for Serena Schrader. I will be looking for them." I put get in my car without another word and he stares at me in thought as I drive off. I can feel his eyes on me as I drive off, too. I just shake my head with a slight eye roll, so much for first impressions.