22 | Taeyong and Miah's Day Out

The sun had just started showing itself from behind the cold and thick morning clouds. Miah stepped out of the main gate of her apartment complex.

'Taeyong!' she exclaimed, pleasantly surprised to see him leaning on a railing in front of the gate. He was dressed in a black jacket with a light grey knit sweater underneath it, and fitted dark pants tucked inside his boots. He had done his hair away from his face, allowing only a few strands to fall on his face whenever the wind caught them.

'I told you to wait by the store.' Miah jumped over the curb towards Taeyong, her long grey pleated skirt flying as she did.

As agreed yesterday, Taeyong and Miah had decided to spend the whole day together, where Miah would take him to visit her places before she moved abroad.

'Ah, I was early and couldn't wait so I walked over,' Taeyong replied, shyly. 'I got you coffee,' he added when Miah was right in front of him, handing over one of the cups in his hand to her.

'Thanks.' She took the cup, sipping softly on the straw.

'You look really pretty.' Taeyong couldn't help but say it.

'Oh,' Miah gasped, having been caught by surprise at the sudden compliment. 'Thank you. You look handsome too,' she added.

'Won't you be cold?' Taeyong asked, genuinely concerned, eyeing the thin fabric of her skirt.

'Oh no.' She slid her hands over her black overcoat. 'This is plenty to keep me warm.'

'Are you sure?'

'Yes. I am sure. C'mon, let's go now.' Miah stepped out onto the side of the road.

Taeyong followed. 'Where are we going first?' He asked, excitedly.

'You'll see. Now c'mon, catch up.' Miah turned around, her long black hair flying over her face in the cold wind.

Taeyong quickly ran up to her, taking her hand in his.

The fresh morning air smelling of dew, wrapped them around in a peaceful silence. It was comfortable, walking with each other, holding hands, sipping coffee, while everyone else was still tucked away in their homes. Just the two of them in this world.

After walking for two more blocks, into a different neighbourhood, they found themselves standing on top of a steep downhill path.

'We're almost there,' Miah told him. 'It's just down there.' With this Miah pulled on his hand to walk forward.

The cars lined the downhill on each side, houses on their left, and the railing on their right, they walked down, trying to brace themselves against gravity only to fail, with each consecutive step faster than the other till they were almost running down the slope, all while giggling like little kids.

The same momentum carried them to turn the corner and a little further till Miah pulled on Taeyong's hand to stop them in front of a tall church.

'It's a church,' Taeyong said.

'Sharp observation.'

'No, I mean–'

'I know what you mean.' Miah pulled Taeyong inside with her, through the open tall double doors.

Whatever protest Taeyong had prepared vanished the second he stepped inside, the beauty of the church allowing only a gasp to escape from his mouth. The church seemed ancient, with its overreaching archways merging at the top; the window frames, painted golden, filtering the sunlight on one side. The white of the walls strikingly stood out, having seemed to have been repainted recently, against the aging benches and windows.