11 | Only a Moment

When Taeyong opened his eyes, he found out that the short nap he thought he had taken was actually him falling asleep for the night. He was in the same clothes, in the same position, on the same couch as he had been the previous evening when he came back to the studio apartment. He stretched his neck and his back and groaned owing to his awkward sleeping position. At least he had a blanket on him, which was obviously Jaehyun's doing. His eyes adjusted to the light in the room and he picked up the phone to find among several notifications, the one that he wanted to see – Professor Moon's email.

Surely, it was a tiring day yesterday, but seeing the new group list he didn't mind running around too much. On top of that, Hye-jin had added him to the new group chat. He checked the members, Doyoung, Hye-jin, and stopping at Miah's contact to check her profile picture. It was a photo of her holding a transparent umbrella, dressed in a white t shirt and a blue cardigan, standing in front of a convenience store.

'No! The convenience store!' Taeyong immediately stood up from the couch and checked the time on his phone. He was late. Not for college, but for Miah.

Inside Jaehyun's thick file on Miah, under the category 'Activities', was this little detail that Mark has been teaching her how to drive a car on the weekends in the early morning hours to avoid heavy traffic. And after their driving lessons, the two siblings go to the convenience store near their house, the same one where Taeyong had first seen Miah at, to get a bite to eat.

Wanting to not waste even a single day, Taeyong had planned on hanging out around that convenience store and make it seem like he casually ran into Miah. It was another chance to be close to her.

But now he was late. He quickly freshened up, did his hair, but opening the wardrobe in the apartment he found only Johnny's clothes hanging in it. He couldn't possibly see her in the same clothes, but Johnny's clothes were definitely going to make him look shabby. Between yesterday's dirty clothes, and Johnny's, though huge on him but at least clean clothes, he chose Johnny's. Fixing how much ever he could to make himself look presentable, he rushed downstairs, hopped into his car, and zoomed to the convenience store.

Fortunately for him, Miah and Mark were apparently still driving around so, he bought himself a cup of ramen, poured hot water into it, sealing it shut once again. Feeling more in control of the situation now, he chose a spot near the large window and himself down on the high stool, placing the cup ramen on the counter. All he had to do now was wait patiently.

When Taeyong could smell the spiciness of the ramen wafting from the cup in front of him, he peeled the plastic on top, freeing the hot vapour from the cup. Not much had moved outside, except for the few people out on early morning runs and walks in the neighbourhood. Inside the convenience store, he could hear the distinct sound of the birds chirping outside and barks from the dogs out for a walk with their owners. He felt his shoulders relax and head drooping to one side, supporting it with his left hand, yawning. The other hand which was still shoving the ramen inside his mouth seemed to lull as well. His eyelids felt heavy. The stool he was sitting on was just the right height for the counter. If he could only rest his head for one moment, just a brief nap. It'll only be a moment. Everything will settle into place. His head approached the table counter like that was the only place it could be. His eyes closed themselves with much ease and before he knew it, he was fast asleep, drooling on that counter.

'Taeyong hyung...'

Taeyong shrugged the hand away.

'Taeyong hyung...'

Taeyong waved a hand near his ear, trying to shoo away the source of this noise.

'Taeyong hyung, you are drooling all over the counter.' The last bit was said in a whisper.