Chapter 12

------------COLE-----------
Death smiled down at me and I instantly wanted to knock that smirk right off his face. He crouched down to my eye level. "Tsk tsk. You should have known that it was pointless to run from death. Have I taught you nothing?"
"Caroline... Is she..." I couldn't bring myself to finish. Death stood back up and gazed at the inferno.
"Your precious Caroline. She started this you know. If only you had took her soul when you had the chance."
"What are you talking about?" I tried to stand up but the pain was still hot. "What do you mean 'started this'?"
"I mean, young one, she lost control to the hunger. Speaking of hunger. How are you hanging? You know, with the whole Grim thing and all. Any major spasms?" I didn't answer. "So be it. Now if you'll excuse me. I have exactly 34 souls to harvest." It wasn't until he was gone that I realized he had never answered my question.

----1 hour before explosion, CAROLINE------

As Cole slammed the door I felt this terrible alone feeling. I had no one left. My grandmother was dead and my father was my enemy. Cole was the last person I had and he is angry with me. I'm so alone. I looked at the broken bowl at my feet and sighed. "Well this won't clean up itself. "
As I was finishing up sweeping I heard a knock on the door. "Who is it?" No answer. I shrugged and went back to my work. Another knock. Then I smelled it. It was the most delectable scent that I have ever smelt. I needed it. I made my way to the door and ripped it off its hinges. A little girl scout stood on the other side wide eyed and terrified. Her long pig tails shivered as she shook with fear. I caught a glimpse at myself in the mirror hanging on the opposite wall. My skin was red and purple. I had grown about a foot and had long fangs. In a blink I had her held by the throat dangling in the air. I couldn't stop myself, I've lost control over my body. The familiar power coursed through me as I devoured the child's soul. She tasted like the sweetest of chocolates and the sourest apple. A single tear ran down her cheek as she aged before my eyes. In the end she was nothing but skin and bones. I let her drop and staggered back. I had just killed a little girl. An innocent child! My veins felt like they were burning through my skin like an adrenaline rush. "More!" A dual tone voice came out of my mouth. "I need more!" It sounded desperate and starved. No matter how hard I tried to control the urge I just couldn't. I heard a scream at the end of the hall and looked over to see a maid. Her eyes were full of fear as she looked at the girl at my feet and then to me. She tried to turn and run but in an instant I was there blocking her path. In less than a second I had her drained and collapsed on the floor. I could smell more. So many more delicious souls. The need to take those lives was so intense that I could feel my mouth begin to salivate and my stomach growl. Why can't I stop, why am I doing this? What's happening? I tried to call for help as I resisted against the pull of the souls. Help! I couldn't get the words out so I did the only thing I could think of, I tried to summon up the power from the field. After what seemed like an eternity a tiny flame started at the entrance to the stares I was heading for. It wasn't much at first but it immediately spread into a paint melting fire. I think my body realized it was in danger because I was in control again. I had to get the fire out. Again I summoned the power to try to kill it but that only seemed to make it worse. I turned and ran down the hall banging on every door on the way. "Fire! Run! Get out of here! Fire!" The hallway was full of panicked people trying to escape in no time. People of all sizes and ages ran for their lives trying to make it to the stairs. I knew if anything happened to any of these people that it would be my fault. I'm dangerous and I don't even know what I am. I didn't move as the crowd ran past me in slow motion. My thoughts were scrambled but all it seemed to come down to Cole. He knew I was dangerous but he did nothing to keep me under control. He just left, knowing full well what I was capable of. At the same time I didn't blame him though. It was my fault for not being able to control my urges. I started this fire so I needed to try to contain it. By now it seemed to have spread down the hall, it was already six feet away from me. The heat was excruciating but I stood my ground. I was alone in the hall now and as I raised my hand to better control my force I saw the fire licking at a pipe on the ceiling. I crossed my fingers hoping that it wasn't what I thought it was but my hopes were dashed out as the pipe burst. Along with the whole upper floors of the hotel. I was swept away into the blaze and everything was dark.

--------present COLE-------
Why did she always have to get into trouble? I can't really blame her for this. I was still sitting on the ground gazing at the necklace in my palm. It was for her but she will never get it. She was in that explosion and the empty pit in my stomach told me that she didn't escape. She wasn't ok this time.
"Would you stop feeling sorry for yourself and get up. " a voice said from behind me. I jumped up and spun around. There before me was Martha.
"But how..." I was stunned. I had watched her die. She had been crushed by that demon. Yet she smiled.
"It takes a lot more than being crushed to kill a centuries old witch. Trust me. We witches are stronger than most people give us credit for." She gazed at the burning hotel. "Same goes for Caroline. She might not be as old as me but she is still my bloodline. She'll pull through. Always has. "
"So she's..." I couldn't seem to finish my sentences lately.
Martha shrugged. "Maybe, it all depends on her. By now she's probably long gone and away from here." And with that she started walking away and gestured for me to follow. In the distance I could here sirens. I took one last look at the hotel and made a secret promise to myself at that moment. I was going to find Caroline and I was going to destroy her Grim even if it means destroying her.